Skip to content
husband scary at night
anioretta21 posted:
About a month after our baby was born, my husband started sleeping more deeply than usual. I thought it was just because he was tired. But now, 14 months later, the problem is just as bad .... and it doesnt seem to matter how much sleep he gets.
He does not wake up on his own, ever .... whether the baby's crying or his alarm is going off over and over. I cannot wake him up unless I yell and shake him .... sometimes I have even had to resort to hitting and kicking him, as nothing else will wake him up! If I didnt wake him up, he would always be late for work!!!
When I try to wake him up, very often he will appear to wake up two or three times before he actually does. I think that he is sleep-walking at those times. He will be extremely angry and mean (very out of character), and sometimes even violent (totally not normal). I am never sure if he is actually awake or not, because he angrily tells me that he IS awake. But later on, when he is TRULY awake, he will not remember the incidents.
It really worries me because sometimes he gets up and carries our daughter to our room ... past the stairs .... and later has no recollection of doing so. Since he is angry, when he's sleep-walking, I worry that he might do something like toss her down the stairs! Also, he has physically attacked me before, when I've been trying to wake him up ... and he has no idea what has happened!
I am now 5 months pregnant, and I am really worried about how things will be once the next baby arrives! I'm terrified to let a baby sleep in bed with us, since I'm certain my husband would not even know if he rolled over on top of the baby!
Is this an illness ... is it physical or mental? Could it be a hormonal imbalance or something? Is he actually just too tired .... even though he usually gets 8 hours of sleep? Could it be related to recent weight gain, or hormonal problems? I've been asking him to go to his doctor, but because he doesnt SEE how scary he is, he doesnt realize how urgent the matter is.
Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Suggestion of Nasal Pillow Masks
The best type of a CPAP mask to use is one which has nasal pillow instead of a mask which goes over the nose and above the upper lip. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center