Sun allergies
An_251730 posted:
Hello, I'm 24 and this has been going on since I was in middle school... I can't be out in the sun for more than 10 minutes because my skin gets really hot and swollen and hard and it starts to itch and it feels like I'm being pinched all at the same time... It feels like my skin absorbs the heat and then it's not able to breathe it out.. After it happens and I go inside for shade it starts going away within 20-30 minutes and it gets really cold... I mean I start shivering... It's so crazy! I went to a doctor once and he did some blood test and said nothing was wrong and told me to use sun block... But sun block doesn't help at all... Is there anyone else going through something like this? Or knows or has heard Anything about this?

123macuser responded:
I have an allergy to the sun, the technical term is "polymorphous light eruption" aka PMLE or sun poisoning. I've had it since a baby. I'm 29 now. I have to wear high SPF broad spectrum sunblock if I go outside for more than a few minutes. So I generally avoid going outside most days in the spring, summer and fall. I don't tend to have any issue in winter though most of the time I'm covered up in a coat or at least a thick sweater... soooo yeah. I get major red hives all over my earms and hands (not palms), my neck, sometimes face, my ears, at times my legs though it's not as common there. And yes it feels very itchy and pinchy, if i bump my hives it hurts like HELL. It takes about a week or more to go away completely if I avoid the sun completely. If I go back out in the sun without adequate protection (high SPF -50 or higher) and I still have the hives they get infinitely worse! Oh man I hate it. The pain is what keeps me from going outside. Just knowing how painful and itchy it is prevents me from going outside. I do go to doctor appointments, etc but not just to drive around or to hang out at the park or something. Nope. Sun block is expensive (the good stuff) and we are on a limited budget, so that is out of the question to use a lot of it. You could see a dermatologist about it. They would recommend light therapy which gradually increases the UV your body can handle. But you have to do it every spring. Your body resets itself during winter. Personally I've never tried it since I am super sensitive and don't want the hassle and expensive of doing it. So my advice, use a good layer of SPF 50 broad spectrum sun block 15 to 30 minutes prior to going out in the sun on all exposed areas (arms, legs, feet, face, neck, etc). Yes it's a pain and it's expensive but it's an allergy and you can't get rid of it. I hope you google search PMLE and try to get more info on it. Oh and looking at pics online of patients with it, everybody's rash looks different from anyone elses. So don't feel discouraged if your rash doesn't look like any of the pics you see, that's okay. If you know it's from the sun, then it's a sun allergy.