Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do my sleep habits accurately exhibit Non 24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder?
An_252240 posted:
PREFACE
I'm a 19-year-old studying the ins and outs of business as a full-time employee at a shop near my home, where I live alone. I have suffered through many mental ailments throughout my life, namely depression and anxiety. I do not believe these factors impact my sleep schedule, but possibly the inverse. I have lots of sleep trouble and it negatively impacts my work life and, on a smaller scale, my social life. The only medication I am taking is Adderall and these problems have not changed since starting it.

DAY-TO-DAY
I end up going to sleep at anywhere from 8pm to 5am when I work on the proceeding day. This depends on how tired I am, which seems to not correlate with the previous night's sleep. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night, but it is not a consistency. It is usually due to thirst or to use the restroom. I wake up for my job at about 9:40am, giving me ten minutes to get ready for the eight minute drive to arrive at 10:00am. I am consistently late, arriving at 10:01am to 10:20am because I have trouble waking up. I have tried to give myself more time to get ready, waking up as early as 8:00am, but to no avail. I am generally tired throughout the day until the Adderall I take kicks in. I do not take it for energy purposes, I take it as intended for concentration. If I do not take it, I have trouble fully waking up and remain drowsy.

Prior to starting my job, I was enrolled in college. I dropped out after a single semester for endless reasons. I would often nap throughout the day and skip classes due to sleepiness. Since the schedules shifted so hectically (e.g. Monday - 5pm class, Tuesday - 10am class, Wednesday - 3pm class), it was too much effort to maintain any semblance of a sleep schedule. I slept as I pleased, which was literally at any time of day with seemingly no rhyme or reason other than my body telling me to.

On the weekends I do not work, so I tend to go to bed depending on my level of sleepiness. I get the impression that if I did not work, my sleep schedule would shift back to how it was in college; my body would tell me to sleep at any time of day. I go to sleep anywhere from 6pm to 7am and sleep until I wake up, which can be anywhere from 12am to 5pm. I consistently wake up earlier than I want to on the weekends, often opting to go back to bed. This has caused me to miss a few dates with my girlfriend of two years, who I do not yet live with. I am always tired for a few hours after waking up, but my drowsiness goes away about half of the time.

SYMPTOMS SUMMARY
  • Bedtime that changes daily based on level of sleepiness.
  • Unpredictable / erratic sleepiness, not correlating with previous sleep.
  • Drowsiness / low energy levels throughout the day.
  • Time management trouble (missing engagements).

CLOSING
If I do not have Non 24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder, I would very much like to know so I can accurately pinpoint the issue. If I have another sleeping disorder, I would like to know. I am sick of having trouble with sleeping. Please help.

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center