Sleeps well, but can't wake up without 9+ hours of sleep. Help?
aelane posted:
I tried looking but could not seem to find a situation identical to this. I apologize if this has already been answered,

I am 21 years old and have experienced this problem. I know people who can function well on 6 hrs of sleep. I however am hardly human on 6 hrs of sleep, or anything close to that. Uninterrupted I naturally sleep for about 10 hrs. I fall asleep within 5 minutes, and snore softly almost instantly (never loudly). I am accustomed to sleeping in different lightning, so sunlight or any lighting doesn't bother me, and most sounds don't interrupt me either. If for some reason I have not slept well the night before I sleep for almost 12 hours.
I was on a typical schedule during highschool (attempting to get 8 1/2 to 9 hours a night) and found myself exhausted, often supplementing my days with naps to compensate for exhaustion. I have never been able to pull all-nighters. Since highschool I have had the luxury of sleeping in during most of my college years. But of course that MUST come to an end with a career starting. I can't just skip work out of drowsiness like I did with 8am classes.
It takes me about an hour and a half to fully "wake-up" even with coffee, which just doesn't cut in a word where I have to be at a job at 7:45. It seems like I am abnormally slow to wake up.
I am on a beta-blocker for anxiety due to driving, but from what I can tell it only makes me drowsy during the day but shouldn't inhibit my ability to wake up (which has always been a problem). I do sometimes drink coffee but could easily take a nap after a full cup. Most members on my family also seem to require alot of sleep, usually by multiple naps and coffee throughout the day.
I feel like I am too young to such a problem getting up. I sleep well, too well. I was wondering what my "problem" is exactly? Or is it just a symptom of a young age? Any advice for needing less sleep/waking up easier is much appreciated. Thank you.

used2bethin responded:
Have you had a sleep study? The daytime portion of my sleep study (MSLT) was the most telling as it showed how incredibly sleepy I am, even after sleeping all night. Fell asleep in 4 minutes or less for each of a series of 2 hour naps. Do you feel refreshed after you nap? If not, you may want to check out the website www.livingwithhypersomnia.com and the videos and great facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MajorSomnolenceDisorder/ to get more input from fellow sleepyheads!