Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not Getting Enough REM Rest
mkmorgan posted:
Falling asleep doesn't seem to be the issue to my exhaustion. I've had this issue since I was much younger, but I have not had a means to explore the matter more until the past few years. I can get to sleep, but either I wake up feeling exhausted for no known reason or wake up several times throughout the night. Once I'm up and moving about, I'm usually good for the day and can carry on through work until the evening. But I don't have any energy to do much after work.

Since I had the option available to me I've gone through a sleep lab with a local sleep clinic. All they can really tell me is that I'm not getting enough REM rest during my sleep period, but they don't know how to really help me well since I don't have restless leg syndrome or sleep apnea. According to my test results they didn't have any options for treatment. I sought out a neurologist to see if it might be something with my brain, my test came back normal but I got a bad vibe the doctor was more into pushing pills than actual answers.

I tried one of the pills, but it's mainly used for treatments with depression and the side-effect is drowsiness. I had a bad reaction to the drug and I'd rather not be dependent on such a means. Aside from nearly having my throat close up on me, the pill just made me angry after I woke up and I still woke up throughout the night and spent the day feeling exhausted.

I've tried:
  • sleeping in different positions
  • warm tea
  • exercising close to bed time
  • meditation before bed
  • relaxation techniques
I know I'm missing something, but I've tried several things medical and holistic and even changing some life style habits in attempts to help. I haven't found anything that works for me yet. I don't know why I can't reach REM to gain restorative sleep, which makes my issue strange to me. I don't have a problem of not being able to sleep in what I find the normal sense and I'm not sure where to go next. Per my test results, in an 8 hour rest period I get less than 2 hours of REM (if not more - I don't have my chart copy on hand) total.

Maybe I've been approaching this matter the wrong way, but I'm at a loss. I can function, but I'd like to actually live my live and not feel like I'd rather go to bed and still feel exhausted no matter how long or how little time I sleep. Is there another sleep disorder that might have been overlooked? From the doctors I've seen they've cleared me of any of the common ones as of this time. Any information would be helpful.

used2bethin responded:
I have been diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia and have many similarities to your description here. A great resource you may want to check out is livingwithhypersomnia.com and the Facebook group mentioned there https://www.facebook.com/groups/MajorSomnolenceDisorder/ which is an amazing support group of fellow sleepyheads. Ask this same question there and you WILL get responses from others who have similar experiences.

mkmorgan replied to used2bethin's response:
I don't use Facebook and this link will not allow me to view the content without signing into an account. I took the name you mentioned and looked it up on-line, I'm not sure it exactly fits, but if it does - it's apparently hard to get this diagnosed and there is no real treatment or much relief at this time. The main reason I ended up looking into a neurologist at one point is a friend that stayed over during the holiday last year woke me up cause they saw my eyes were open while asleep. I didn't see anything and I woke up relatively easy, was more puzzled than anything by the sudden wake-up call. I was able to get back to sleep, but still woke up later feeling un-rested despite a 8-hour period of rest. They thought I might have had a mini-stroke or something, but no results show that I had. I'll looking more in other avenues to the term mentioned, but do you have any non-social group type info links for me to review?

MarkeyMK replied to mkmorgan's response:
I don't use face book either and I can. Have you ever had an account or singed up if you do one of those you don't need face book.

mkmorgan replied to MarkeyMK's response:
I don't use any real account other than my e-mail and this WebMD one at the moment. Is there something I'm missing? I really don't want to get into the whole social media stuff with Facebook and all.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center