My Husband Talks, Yells and Sits Up In His Sleep
VeryConcernedWife posted:
My husband of 14 years who rarely talked or snored in his sleep, has in the last 6 months been experiencing talking, yelling at family members, tosses and turns, slaps his arm on the bed, legs and arms stiffened and shakes, sits up and mumbles and groans and then falls back in the bed and falls out of the bed a lot while sleeping. Sometimes the shaking is just his legs stiffening and others it's both his arms and legs stiffening and shaking so bad it shakes the whole bed. He says when he falls back or out of the bed it feels like something is pushing him.

He was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea after a sleep study at VA Hospital. They provided him with a C Pap but he says it is torched to have to wear it. He has oxygen he has to be on full time now since his oxygen level was too low.

He falls asleep easily while sitting in his desk chair in the living room watching television and doesn't seem to have the same issues. He was always a light sleeper and woke up easily when call his name, but now it takes 3 tires with increasing the loudness to get him to wake up.

He also has caught himself falling asleep, crossing the double yellow line while driving during the day.

This morning he woke me up crying out in pain after falling out of the bed, and gashing his knee open on big tool box he uses it as a table and keeps under the window and other items he keeps by his side of the bed. I told him he needs a safety gate on his side so he won't fall out of the bed, but I fear he will just hurt himself that much more with all his tossing and turning he does.

I am very fearful for his life not only while driving but while sleeping or trying to sleep.

Can anyone please tell me what is going on with my husband?

TDXSP08 responded:
WELL I CANT TELL YOU WHATS GOING ON OTHER THAN HE SEEMS TO FIT THE CLASSIC DEFINITION OF SLEEP APNEA.(Whoops sorry for the caps) and to say that i have apnea and Epilepsy they do make rails that have padding on them so that we can't fall out or tosses ourselves out during a seizure and that we don't hurt our selves having a seizure against the metal bedrail because its all nice and cushy soft and padded so you can always go for the seizure rails to keep him safe if need be,Now I sleep in a hospital bed so the rails attaching is made to be able to, If you have a regular Home Traditional Bedset that could be a tricky issue for you and there is no guarantee it can be done.

Peace

VeryConcernedWife replied to TDXSP08's response:
Thank you for responding TDXSP08.

I will look into finding some kind of gate with cushioning so he won't hurt himself again.

I kind of thought it was the sleep apnea with the reading I've been doing on it.

In the past he has had a couple of seizures after spending too much time on a PC he bought trying to get it set up to his liking. He went without sleep all night and into the next day. When I was talking to him he all of a sudden leaned down with his head on his desk and started jerking. Another time he was laughing and while laughing he kept his mouth shut and went into another seizure.

He hasn't had another seizure in years, but I always wondered why he had them. when he told the doctor about it all the doctor said was don't laugh with your mouth shut. Big help he was and didn't seem to be concerned.

Anyway, I appreciate your response and will look into the padded gate. It's getting harder and harder to sleep in the same bed with him as he wakes me up during the night when it happens.

Blessings