Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is this just sleep paralysis and should it be investigated
larapris posted:
I have been getting what I call my "strange attacks" since I was 19. They are very difficult to describe. At first they mostly occurred while I was awake. I would suddenly feel heavy all over and I would have to lay down where I was. It took a while for my muscles to begin to work again. No one helped me, even though I was in a public place and this freaked me out. I was diagnosed with agoraphobia. I went to the groups but it soon became clear I wasn't really agoraphobic. I was afraid of the attacks rather than the situation I was in. I am not agoraphobic at all. The attacks the were confined to the night time. I would just feel horrible allover with complete change of sensation. My muscles would be hard to use even when I was wide awake. I couldn't swallow nor blink my eyes. I'd be up and about. Then as panic set in I would feel a warm rush and things began going again, and I'd feel a complete fool. In a mild attack I will just turn over and go back to sleep. So far I have survived. The last two to three years I have been experiencing actual paralysis. I don't have any hallucinations, demons or strange dreams, I just wake up, feel something is wrong, think I am having a stroke and as I reach for the light, my fingers don't work, they are paralysed even as I am sitting up. Likewise, I woke up the other night only an hour or two after going to bed and it was an effort to move my arms to switch on the light and they were tingling like mad. I had to shake them for several minutes. The scariest ones have occurred when I have woken up and my legs were paralysed. They really were paralysed, on trying to walk, I fell to the floor on two occasions and grazed shins or arms. Then all is OK. I often have tingling for up to an hour afterwards. I have sarcoidosis and had a pituitary tumor at age 21 which I think was early sarcoid. It is difficult to accept that something innocuous can make your hands and arms tingle for a full hour.
Larapris

Take the Poll

Is this merely sleep paralysis?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
  • get a sleep test
vote
View Poll Results

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center