Help! Violent Sleep Kicking
helplessone22 posted:
Hoping for some advice. I don't really know what the heck is wrong with me when I sleep. I do have mild Sleep Apnea for which I wear a CPAP. I wear it regularly. I'm 31, incredibly fit and active (really slender: it shocks people how much I'm able to hurt him), and follow my sleep instructions. However, for the last few months now, my boyfriend has barely been able to sleep because I am violently kicking (bunny-feeting as I call it) in my sleep. It happens nightly and VERY repetitively. It's an all night event for my poor guy. I leave marks, he's had to start putting dividing pillows between us, etc. I feel just awful. The worst part is, I don't wake up. I don't realize I've done it. Well, actually, it did wake me out of a sleep once, and I felt just how hard that kicking is. Does anyone know why this is suddenly happening? I see my sleep doctor tomorrow to get my CPAP checked, but she's not exactly a listener. Could the kicking be related to my Sleep Apnea? I don't think it's Restless Leg Syndrome because it looks like that's more you can't fall asleep because of leg tinglies, and that's not me. I don't know what to do to fix it, but I have to do something. My poor guy can't take it anymore, and I don't blame him.

Creola55 responded:
It sounds like you might have a condition called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. While researching this I found that it is related to Restless leg Syndrome. Here are links from reputable sources that contain info on the condition:
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-related-problems/periodic-limb-movements-sleep

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/periodic_limb_movement_disorder/hic_periodic_limb_movement_disorder.aspx

I hope this helps you.

Creola55

helplessone22 replied to Creola55's response:
Creola,

I just went to see my sleep doctor diagnosed it as. You are exactly right. Only she called it Organic Periodic Limb Movement. Don't know what the organic means, but I appreciate the links. I'm still not sure what this even is.