Skip to content
Help! Violent Sleep Kicking
helplessone22 posted:
Hoping for some advice. I don't really know what the heck is wrong with me when I sleep. I do have mild Sleep Apnea for which I wear a CPAP. I wear it regularly. I'm 31, incredibly fit and active (really slender: it shocks people how much I'm able to hurt him), and follow my sleep instructions. However, for the last few months now, my boyfriend has barely been able to sleep because I am violently kicking (bunny-feeting as I call it) in my sleep. It happens nightly and VERY repetitively. It's an all night event for my poor guy. I leave marks, he's had to start putting dividing pillows between us, etc. I feel just awful. The worst part is, I don't wake up. I don't realize I've done it. Well, actually, it did wake me out of a sleep once, and I felt just how hard that kicking is. Does anyone know why this is suddenly happening? I see my sleep doctor tomorrow to get my CPAP checked, but she's not exactly a listener. Could the kicking be related to my Sleep Apnea? I don't think it's Restless Leg Syndrome because it looks like that's more you can't fall asleep because of leg tinglies, and that's not me. I don't know what to do to fix it, but I have to do something. My poor guy can't take it anymore, and I don't blame him.

Creola55 responded:
It sounds like you might have a condition called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. While researching this I found that it is related to Restless leg Syndrome. Here are links from reputable sources that contain info on the condition:
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-related-problems/periodic-limb-movements-sleep

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/periodic_limb_movement_disorder/hic_periodic_limb_movement_disorder.aspx

I hope this helps you.

Creola55

helplessone22 replied to Creola55's response:
Creola,

I just went to see my sleep doctor diagnosed it as. You are exactly right. Only she called it Organic Periodic Limb Movement. Don't know what the organic means, but I appreciate the links. I'm still not sure what this even is.

Helpful Tips

Suggestion of Nasal Pillow Masks
The best type of a CPAP mask to use is one which has nasal pillow instead of a mask which goes over the nose and above the upper lip. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center