Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nasal Blockage
clm_jr posted:
When using the CPAP, I awake gasping for air worse now. Not only does my throat collapse, but it seems my nostrils are closing as well when I sleep. Why is this?

pixe5 responded:
I have the same problem. I have a nasal pillow mask but everytime I use it I clog up. That may be related to my allergies. I also keep getting sinus infections, which seem to be related to using the machine.Oral masks do not fit right for me and leak a lot.

I am trying a new treatment that does not require a machine. It is a small device that uses the pressure of your own breath to help you breathe. I have had no problems with it clogging up my nose.

There are two versions of the device. Provent is for sleep apnea and you have to get a prescription for it. Theravent is for snoring and you don't need a prescription for it. They both are one-use disposables.

I am trying out the Theravent first for a few reasons. It is cheaper than Provent ($25 a month vs. $70 a month). My insurance will not pay for either one. Another reason is that from what I understand the Provent can be uncomfortable because the device uses hard plastic inside the nose. The Theravent goes over the nose and is very comfortable.

I have been diagnosed with mild apnea so I want to see if this does the trick. If you have severe apnea then you are probably better off trying the Provent.

One thing that is useful no matter which treatment you get is to use a chin strap to keep your mouth closed since most gasping and snoring happens when you breathe through your mouth.

I would also recommend that you talk with your doctor about this problem.

Good luck!

clm_jr replied to pixe5's response:
Thank you. This has been very helpful. I intend to dicuss these options with my doctor next week.

Helpful Tips

Get a ZEO
I went to a sleep center & did 2 sleep studies. They diagnosed me with sleep apnea. I purchased a ZEO (at home PSG sleep monitor) and ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center