Skip to content
I answer the phone and talk and walk in my sleep
Anon_25723 posted:
I started talking in my sleep a few yrs ago. Then noticed I was answering the phone in my sleep. I told my family doctor and he said I was showing signs of dementia. That was so unfair. It's like HELLO, I only do this in my sleep. I answered the phone to a doctor's office last month in my sleep and I don't think they believe I was asleep. Also, unfair. I'm suffering because of it. I'm going to make an appt with my doctor soley for the purpose of this problem and he needs to help me with it. This has caused me lots of problems. I say things I normally would not say. You'd think people would realize somethings up. This subject needs more attention so that people can educate themselves and know that there are people out there who have this problem.

biancalthompson responded:
I understand your frustrations, I talk, cook, answer the phone and clean in my sleep.

Your not alone. I haven't addressed the issue because it doesn't bother me that much. Most of the time a 3am phone call from me gets ignored by my relatives because everyone is aware that I do use the phone in my sleep. I solve the eating in the middle of the night by having a snack before bed and keeping a glass of water by the bed. I make sure I am safe by putting my keys somewhere that isn't in plain sight. I have not yet attempted to drive in my sleep but I can't take that chance because I do live alone and wouldn't be immediately missed. Especially since I do travel sometimes for work.

Sleeping pills aggravate my issues although Melatonin seems to get me into a deep sleep.

I hope you get your sleeping issues resolved. Find a good doctor because I promise your not alone and its not dementia.

Helpful Tips

...but it's "all natural" ingredients
Just a side note...HEMLOCK is all natural...I don't think Socrates took much comfort in that little tidbit of fact. Be careful of claims ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center