Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Sleep Disorder-- Not sure if it's apnea but need an answer!
    sheskrafty posted:
    Hi all, here's my issue- my boyfriend is inhaling but not exhaling (voulntarily) while he's sleeping. People seem to say sleep apnea a lot, but he IS breathing, he's just holding his breath. He holds it in for so long, and then his body seems to push it out slowly, and it makes a whistling/squeaking noise for a minute or two until it's all out...almost like slowly letting air out of a full balloon.
    I was finally able to record him to show him how bad it actually was (2-3 times at least, in a 10 minute period), and the recording sounded like listening to whales underwater. I am getting desperate and he is refusing to see a Dr. because he thinks "it's not that bad"- meanwhile, I'm the one losing sleep!!! Any thoughts, suggestions, similar experiences? This is starting to drive me crazy!!!!

atti_editor responded:
    Hi sheskrafty and thank you for posting!

Here is an overview of sleep apnea . It sounds like this could be what your boyfriend is suffering from, but having him evaluated by a doctor is the only way that you will truly know (and that he can get proper treatment). Since he is refusing to see a doctor about it, this might not be an option. Have you told him how you feel, and how it is severely affecting your sleep? You might try sharing these health-related risks that sometimes accompany sleep apnea, or suggest that he try one of these easy home-treatment options (not sleeping on his back for example).

I hope that your boyfriend gets the help that he may need and that you are able to get a good night's sleep soon! Let us know how everything turns out.

-Atti

jingyao responded:
    hello sheskrafty:
    does your boyfriend feel sleepy in the day? would he doze while siting ,reading ,watching TV ?

Helpful Tips

soothing sounds
    I find that when im having trouble sleeping a sound machine helps me get to sleep More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center