Skip to content
Narcolepsy and Sleep Apnea
R1fitzge posted:
I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea a few years ago and recently after being treated for Cancer by Radiation and Chemotherapy I have been diagnosed with Narcolepsy.

Before the Narcolepsy diagnosis I would be tired in the morning and then again later in the afternoon. I use a C-PAP device to sleep but it only helps a little and lately I have just stopped using it because it makes me feel claustrophobic.

Now that I have this Narcolepsy I wake up several times a night and at 5:30 AM bright eyed and bushy tailed! This feeling however does not last long. I work from home and I find myself sitting in front of the computer nodding off many times with my head smashing down on the desk. Many times I am sitting on the side of the bed about to get out and I Nod off. Sometimes sitting on the toilet I do the same thing.
There have been several times I have fallen on the floor and hit my head. I get up all bloody with a headache sometimes and worry I might die from this. I happen to have a friend that did die from this.
If the nodding off is really bad I will get what I call the "Jerks". My whole body Jerks instead of falling. That causes some pain in the chest area which concerns me.

My Doctors have prescribed various "stay awake" meds but most of them cause my heart to race and my blood pressure to go up. That feeling is worse than the sleepy feeling.

I have been taking Dexedrine which ironically makes me sleepy at first but after about two hours I seem to just feel normal. No sleepy feeling and no jitters. I have been taking this for several Months now and I still have problems but usually because I forget to take the medication.

The reason for me posting this is to see if anyone else has experienced both health issues and what has helped.

Thanks

atti_editor responded:
Hi R1fitzge,

I so sorry that you are going through this. While I do not have experience with sleep apnea or narcolepsy, I did find some resources that you might find helpful.

I hope that one of these works for you!

Best wishes
-Atti

Helpful Tips

I love to sleep
I could sleep all day, but I work five jobs. I tried myself right out. my baby also loves to sleep. she let me sleep ad give me three to ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center