Skip to content
Inability to sleep due to Twitch and Anxiety
waterlily222 posted:
I am 10 weeks pregnant and within the past three weeks, I recently came off of antidepressant meds, Effexor, Abilify and Nortriptyline. For the past week I have been suffering with what I can only call sleeping panic attacks. While falling asleep, my body twitches, jerking me awake. This goes on for a 45 minute period until I am awake enough to begin to feel the panic take over. I don't know if this is a result of being without the meds, but it is the scariest feeling I have ever felt. Even though my mind seems to be calm while I first attempt to fall asleep, the longer the twitch-waking goes on, the more I begin to let the anxiety take over. I then need sit up and turn on lights and distract myself so as not to enter a full blown panic attack. I am fearful that I will never be able to sleep again! At the recommendation of several anxiety web sites, I am going to start jogging tomorrow in hopes it raises my serotonin levels and that the physical activity tires me out. I followed the doctor's regiments and titrated off of my meds slowly and feel fine with the exception of the twitching and the sleeping panic. Please help with any suggestions, I really don't want to go back on any meds, for both my sake and the baby's. I have tried calming techniques like deep breathing and once I am awake, I am usually able to ride the wave of anxiety in a successful manner. It is just during those sleep spasms when I am groggy and out of it that the panic becomes all consuming. There is definitely some sort of chemical reaction going on in my nervous system/ brain, as this is not just in my mind. I am at my wits end. Please Help!

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center