Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Multiple dream episodes interrupt my sleep
An_256137 posted:
Hi! I have been experiencing weird symptoms for the past three weeks, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or answers for my situation.

Every night for the past month my sleep has been plagued with multiple dreams; usually, everyone dreams or has nightmares and I used to remember mine occasionally, like a "regular" person should. They would be especially vivid during times of extreme stress or anxiety, but it would only last one night or two until the stressful period was over (e.g. an upcoming exam or event). Now, however, even if I sleep for a full eight (or even nine) hours, I will spend the rest of the day extremely tired and in the afternoon I have the urge to fall asleep and take a nap. My diet has not changed, though I have been exercising more. My stress levels are usually consistent, but it has never made my sleep pattern go so out of whack.

The issue here are the dreams -- I will wake up and remember at least five dreams I have had throughout the night, and some seem so realistic that I have a hard time remembering if it actually happened or not. For example, I will have a dream that I checked my phone throughout the night and I will vaguely remember that I received a text from someone, but when I check in the morning the event never really occurred. Or, I will think that I am talking to one of my roommates in the early morning, and then when I actually wake up and ask my roommates if I talked to them, they will tell me that I never said a word up until then. Most of the times the dreams are very trivial (such as receiving a text), but sometimes they evoke an emotional response from me that when I wake up I feel extremely anxious.

This has become so bad that I can no longer recall if I actually did something or not -- but more importantly, I think it is seriously damaging the quality of my sleep. As mentioned before, it doesn't matter if I sleep for four hours later or for eight hours, I still feel exhausted throughout the day. Does anybody have a solution? Sleeping pills do not help; I have stopped consuming alcohol for the time being; I have cut down on computer hours to minimize the impact the strain may have on my brain; I have basically done as much change as I can to my lifestyle to change this, but nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center