Skip to content
Strange new sleep pattern and side effects?
ellewolfe posted:
I've always had a hard time sleeping and waking for work, excessive tireness, grogginess, etc, especially working varying hours. I attributed it to medications or that I was just not a morning person... or an afternoon person at that. I was taking a medication (anti-depressant crap) for a while that deprived me of sleep (basically knocked me out and didn't give me restful sleep) and it caused fibromyalgia type symptoms until I stopped taking it with my doctors advice over 6 months ago; pain stopped, sleep issues didn't. I'm 23, with ADHD as my only real problem.

However, for the past couple of weeks I have been out of work on leave, and with my husband working nights I've found that my sleep pattern has changed completely through no actions of my own. I usually sleep from about 4:00am- 8:00am, wake for an extended period of time, then sleep again around 7:00pm-11:00pm. It's roughly still always 7-8 hours of sleep. I never feel sleep deprived, and in fact my concentration is slightly improved considering I have ADHD. Of course my husband is worried that I have insomnia, etc. I did a bit a research and found that Bi-modal sleep was actually quite normal for humans in the past and natural.

My real concern is that this within about 5 minutes of just laying down, I am basically in a weird state of awake/sleep. It's not like lucid dreaming, I am never aware that I am dreaming. I enter a dream state very quickly and have extensive drawn out dreams, only to be awoken by a noise, and find that only about 5 minutes has passed. After that, I fall back asleep, and wake up perfectly fine. Although the dreams do continue on with an insane intensity and vividness, noises do not wake me up. It's concerning because I was taught to assume dreaming only happens in REM, not when first entering sleep. Should I be concerned that these dreams while first falling asleep are hallucinations? Like I said, I do not feel sleep deprived. I do not yawn, head nod, etc. I also have a severe sense of confusion of my surroundings sometimes waking from dreams. I've lived with my husband now for quite some time, and for some reason my brain is confused that I am not back in my parents house for sometimes up to 3 minutes.

I know this is all quite odd, but it's confusing the heck out of me. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated...

ellewolfe responded:
Also, I've woken myself up a couple times talking in my sleep. Nonsense words and phrases of course, but it's still a first for me.

Helpful Tips

free sampler of somnapure
I ordered this, Then discovered the auto order, of which I did not want to happen So I called (PeekLife.com) them to confirm that I didn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center