Skip to content
anyone with RLS?
sw3tflower posted:
Does anyone else have Restless Leg Syndrome? Mine started about 15 years ago and I have never found anything to help. Trouble is, it's getting worse and worse.
It's when you feel you have to move your foot (or Feet). A pain or tingling or some feeling in leg/foot can only be stopped if it is moved, but you move it and the same feeling comes right back. It only happens when you go to bed or try to go to sleep. It goes away when sleeping.
But it is preventing me from getting to sleep. I now get cramps in my toes and feet because of the constant movement. It even causes blisters on the side of my ankles.
Does anyone else suffer from this? Do you know of something that works?

wildwoodian responded:
I have had it a bit longer, but maybe not such a bad case because sometimes I have no symptoms. however, when I do, it's a nightmare. my trick is to get to sleep as quick as possible, so the rls doesn't get a chance to raise it's ugly head. had tried 2 comman prescriptions for it but they made me feel hung over in the morning. I've had very good luck with these 6 mg strawberry flavoured fast dissolve melatonin tablets. good luck, it's awful, I know !!!!

sw3tflower replied to wildwoodian's response:
Thank you for your reply. I have tried all the things mentioned. What gets me is that so many doctors refuse to believe RLS exists. I'll keep trying

An_256475 replied to sw3tflower's response:
I've had this for decades. You're talking to doctors who are too lazy to look up RLS. By now it's well known and documented. Strangest thing happened to me two years ago. I moved to Las Vegas and sometime afterwards realize that the RLS was gone. I don't know why and can only guesses are (1) area is high desert so it's altitude and humidity are different than Virginia my original home. (2) bought a Temperpedic mattress. To me it's more likely to have been a combination of the two that calmed down the legs.

atti_editor responded:
Hello sw3tflower,

Here is some information on treatments for RLS -- I'm not sure what you have tried but the information provided by the above link and in this article on home treatment might give you some ideas of treatments to try. Have you been able to rule out any underlying medical conditions as the cause of your RLS?

Best wishes,
Atti

sw3tflower replied to An_256475's response:
An
Can I move in with you????
I'm happy you found relief from your symptoms.
Take care

sw3tflower replied to atti_editor's response:
I was scheduled to have orthoscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my knee. When I told the ortho surgeon about my RLS (concerned RLS would interfere with healing or surgery itself) he replied "What's RLS?"
I had a cortisone shot instead.....

larry81 responded:
I have had rest leg for about 2 years and like you it hurts all over my legs and feet. I been trying iron , eating strawberries and bananas, streching and truing to relax with hot baths and lavender. I take vitamins try to eat healthy, but I don't sleep much anymore either. I use to sleep to much. I really wish there was a better answer and some relief.

nanadianah replied to larry81's response:
Hi Larry,
Have you had blood work to check for any vitamin deficiencies or potassium checked? If not you should, also you may have a sleep disorder which can cause your legs to kick. My husband has Sleep Apnea and RLS. He's been on CPAP since his sleep study, then medication. He takes Pramipexole (Mirapex) without it, its similar to being in bed with a kick boxer all night. It has not had any side effects like other meds used to treat RLS, like daytime drowsiness. He takes it at 7pm that way its relaxed his legs before he goes to sleep, otherwise his legs and arms both flail like crazy!
I hope this helps, as there's nothing herbal or OTC that will help there are no cures other than the appropriate treatment.
Good Luck!

Helpful Tips

Insomnia
I have had insomnia for about a year. Giving up dairy products has helped immensely. Not only has the gas problem been relieved but also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center