Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help! 3 weeks in, cannot handle daylight savings
llb827 posted:
36 year old female here, ADHD, prone to some anxiety though pretty manageable, cannot sleep, and really need to.

I have a late circadian clock, like a lot of people with ADHD. In the past I used to be able to just fight it-- for years I got up early and worked out before work. But two years ago I started my current job, and in order to work out, I have to be at the gym before 6am. This has been a huge problem for me and I've gotten really out of shape. I also get no exercise during my work day, and I KNOW that the lack of exercise is really having an effect on my sleep.

But it's a vicious circle. I can't get up early enough to exercise unless I get to bed really early and sleep really well. This winter I was just starting to make some progress forcing myself into this. Then daylight savings time came and I can barely get up at 7:30 for work let alone 5:30 for the gym. In fact, I lie in bed all night, and end up falling asleep between maybe 3 and 4:30 am. A few nights I've gotten sleep at 10:30 or 11, only to wake up at 2ish and not fall back alseep.

I feel like I'm doing everything I'm supposed to, a lot of things that were starting to work for me on standard time. I get home from work around 7, cook/eat dinner/clean up. I turn off TV and electronics at 9 and start getting ready for bed. I pick up anything in my bedroom that needs to be organized, take a warm shower, brush teeth, skin care, etc.

By 9:30 I take the .1 mg of clonodine (blood pressure medication) my dr. prescribed to help me get sleepy on a normal clock. I tried taking .2 mg, but it makes me SO dizzy I had to cut back (I also don't have high blood pressure, so I don't love taking this just to help sleep). The .1 mg doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore.

At 9:30 I'll read for a bit (not in bed) and try to get in bed by 10. I've been sleeping with white noise for 10 years. I wear ear plugs and a mask so my boyfriend doesn't disturb me (he sleeps in the other room).

As I said doing all this was starting to work for me despite my slightly late rhythm. Now nothing is. If I go to bed at 10, it's really 9 according to the sun, and if I wake up at 5:30 it's really 4:30. The more I lie in bed, I start to get anxious about sleep and every other problem I might have.

I wake up the absolute latest I can-- 7:30-- and I'm usually about 15 minutes late for work. I don't have the type of job where I would actually need to be in at a certain time, but my boss is very old fashioned and wants me in at 8:30.

My brain usually doesn't wake up until about 10 am, but now I am completely useless all morning and well into the afternoon. It takes me forever to get anything done. I'm anxious and honestly, really hungry all the time, and I think lack of sleep is the reason.

I've had problems with DST in the past, but this year is just a nightmare. I really just don't know what to do, but I HAVE to start sleeping and waking up on time. I cannot find ANY useful advice--everything I already know and it's not working. Can anyone offer anything? Please, I am really at my wit's end. Thanks.

Helpful Tips

Vegan!
My sister and I are both the same, It would take nothing short of an earthquake or being on fire to wake us up. Now if this is a serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center