Skip to content
Staying asleep
cbishop96569 posted:
I do not have a problem getting to sleep but if I get up to say use the restroom, I cannot go back to sleep, whether it is 12 midnight or 3 a.m. I am then stressed because I know I have to work all day and wonder how that is going to be possible with little or no sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go back to sleep after getting up for say 5 minutes??

atti_editor responded:
Hi cbishop96569,

Stressing about not being able to sleep can actually be what is keeping you awake. Watching the minutes tick by or thinking about how tired you are going to be the next day can perpetuate your insomnia and telling yourself to just go back to bed can be counterproductive (I often fall into this rut). This article has some good tips for what to do when you just can't fall back asleep -- sometimes getting out of bed for a short time can be the best thing for you, as well as turning clocks around so that you can't obsess over how much time is passing. Here is another article about middle-of-the-night awakening you may find helpful.

For those nights that no matter what you try you just can't get any rest, here are some tips on how to find the energy to get through the next day.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center