Skip to content
Lucid Nightmares?
recreati0nal posted:
Hello. I'm well aware of the dangers of self-diagnosing, but I am struggling quite a bit to find a name for my situation -condition?-, but I think it's a possibility that I could be experiencing nightly lucid nightmares. Of course, it could be something else that I've never heard of, but I'd really like some other opinions on what it is and how I can over come it. As it is I have ways of discouraging these dreams such as sleeping with a television on, but it would be nice to be able to sleep in a quiet room without knowing that there is a high likelyhood that my dreams will scare me to death and not allow me to wake up. Now, for a few more details, here is a paragraph I submitted in an email to a sleep center:

I actually have frequent episodes of what I believe to be lucid nightmares- lucid dreams where I am not in control of the situation but am still aware that I am dreaming and am conscious of my physical body, although I'm incapable of moving it. Often times I am unable to talk or stand or make any sort of physical effort in these dreams, and it's much like I'm in a highly intoxicated state although my mind is clear. It is difficult to wake up from these dreams, although possible, and I can experience several in one night.

And just for a bit more clarification, unless I have a television or both a decent sized lamp and a radio or something else that creates noise, I will almost certainly have one of these nightmares. And they are all nightmares. They are terrifying and I'll wake up with a rapid heartbeat and covered in sweat, too afraid to fall asleep again after only a mere hour of rest.

Any ideas about what this is and how I can actually deal with it instead of finding ways of avoiding it would be greatly appreciated.

An_258648 responded:
Are you under an unusual amount of stress? I went through a 6 month period several years ago where I was having violent nightmares over and over every night. I was exhausted. My doctor prescribed Ambien, even though I wasn't having trouble going to sleep. The Ambien did take away a lot of the nightmares, or at least make it so I wasn't waking up every single time I had one.

I also often know when I'm dreaming/having a nightmare. It doesn't seem to make it better tho. When I'm really stressed, I have been known to throw punches, kick, etc., due to my nightmares. Sleeping away from home in an unfamiliar environment can usually trigger nightmares, etc., too,, for me, anyway.

Unless you can eliminate the stress or whatever is causing your lucid nightmares, you should probably consider seeing a doctor. Good luck!

recreati0nal replied to An_258648's response:
I'll definitely bring it up during my next doctor visit.
The thing is, I've had them for years pretty much every time I forget to turn a tv on or whenever I stay in a house that isn't my own and don't have my usual distraction methods available. I understand the stress of sleeping in an unfamiliar place could increase their frequency, but I'm not sure it's independently relying on stress. I have a very anxious personality, so that could perhaps be a factor. However, I'm prescribed Lexapro and that seems to take away the majority of my anxiety issues, so shouldn't it help with the sleeping as well?

Helpful Tips

free sampler of somnapure
I ordered this, Then discovered the auto order, of which I did not want to happen So I called (PeekLife.com) them to confirm that I didn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center