Skip to content
Waking Up Constantly Through the Night in a Panic & Need 12 hours of Sleep?
sendmetothemoon posted:
I'm a 20 year old female- 5'8/120lbs. I'm neither overweight nor underweight but I sleep terribly. It's really been noticeable the last couple years or so. I never really thought much of it until other people started noticing my weird habits.

- I cannot fall asleep before midnight. Even if I haven't slept the night before or had a busy day.. It's impossible.
- I need a good 12 hours sleep to feel fully rested. I can safely do 10 and be okay.. but any less and I'm dead all day.
- Through out the night, I wake up probably every hour to flip over from side to side but I almost always wake up panicked needing to know the time. Why? Because I need to know how much time I have left to sleep. I wake up to check the time roughly every two hours.
- In the last six months or so.. I don't remember having any dreams. I fear I might not be getting any REM sleep.

I work evenings so it's become a pattern of staying up until 5 or 6am (It's almost 5am as I type this) and I sleep until 3ish because I have to get up and get ready for work. If I let myself sleep longer though.. I gladly would be in bed until about 5pm. This routine is comfortable for me.. but in the past working any kind of job that requires me getting up in the morning leaves me dead all week until the weekend where I catch up on my neglected sleep.

I am not a huge drinker.. I don't drink any kind of caffeine at all. I don't do any kind of drug. I'm guilty of not eating enough food sometimes and I'm almost always dehydrated.
I don't know if my sleep has anything to do with that.. or if something is actually wrong with me.

My father sleeps the exact same way as me- and has been diagnosed with sleep apnea. My aunt also has issues with insomnia. The only issues I had with sleep when I was younger were chronic night terrors. This all started when I hit about 16 but continues to worsen the older I get.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms to this?
I know ideally I should visit a doctor but I fear that they'll simply tell me that nothing is wrong and I should drink more water or something simple and ignore the real issue (if there is one) at hand. It's gotten to the point that friends and boyfriends have asked me if something is wrong with me because if I'm not sleeping.. I'm consistently tired.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center