Skip to content
sleeping but not rested
Toddman22 posted:
I am a 37 year old male that sleeps for 8 hours a night, but when I wake up I feel groggy, tired and like my mind is in a fog. Once in a while when I do get quality sleep I walk up with lots of energy, happy, and feel great. 90 % of the time this does not happen, I am crabby and a short tempered, and my body aches all over. I don't understand what my problem is do to sleeping 8 hours and not waking at all. It is almost like my I am sleeping but my brain is not rested or I am not getting any REM sleep. Does anyone have any idea's or advice please that can help me. Sincerely

Tiebos responded:
I dealt with that for years before I was told (by my gf) that I had sleep apnea. During the night I'd just stop breathing for as much as a minute at a time. I had a sleep study done to confirm it, then another with a BiPap machine. Mine was centrally caused, meaning my brain is "forgetting" to breathe at night. The other option is obstructive, caused by tongue slipping, tonsils, or some other physical interference.

Obstructive can be treated a few different ways, but for my issue... I sleep with a mask on that forces air into my lungs when it senses I'm not breathing. Took a while to get used to, but now I get as much rest from an hour nap as I used to from sleeping all night!

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center