Skip to content
vomiting from lack of sleep
vlotta posted:
I'm 37 and have had this problem sense I was a kid. If I stay up late or wake up early I get sick to my stomach. Has anyone every heard of this I have asked every doctor I have ever had and no one can give me an answer. It comes in different stages. If I am sleeping and have to wake up after about 5 hours of sleep I will feel sick but be able to make it through the day but if for some reason I only get about 3 hours of sleep I will actually start to vomit until I'm able to sleep it off. It also happens if I stay up real late at night at first I will start to feel sick to my stomach and at that point if I don't get to bed the next stage about an hour later is vomiting. Now I tend to get about 8 hours of sleep a night this only happens on the rare occasions I don't get sleep such as when my kids are sick and I'm up all night taking care of them, but this is something that has driven me crazy all my life because no one has been able to give me an answer to what causes this.

kpopsensation responded:
You are not the only one. I am trying to research about this and I cannot come up with anything. The doctors doesn't even know either and even if they do know, I don't think it will be true because many doctors says different things. I been vomiting my whole life and started when i was young. I had lots of sleep when I was in 4th grade and that was when it all began. i got sick allt he time like fevers and cold etc. And funny thing is when I get a fever i throw up because i feel so dizzy and even if my parents force the food down my throat. i feel like vomiting so I have no appetite. It could be a lack of nutrition in our bodies. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to eat veggies and fish. I had low blood pressure before too, but the doctors could not find anything wrong with me. They all said I was healthy and in good conditions. Just like you, whenever I have lack of sleep, I vomit. I just vomit today because of lack of sleep and I still not feeling that good. I had class this morning too. I havent vomitted in a while now because I been taking this supplement which helped me. I would suggest it to you. I think it will help you. But i figured that I would still need a good night rest too even though the supplement helped me for these past 2 years. My body is probably weak or lacking something. I hoped I helped.

ladymags28 responded:
I feel so much better that I"m not the only one. I'm 21 now and have been like this since I was a child. I remember my parents taking me to the doctor thinking it was allergy related or that maybe I was diabetic (it runs in both sides of my family). The doctor gave us squat. I can either be awake very early or just did not get enough sleep and cannot function until I vomit. I'll still have stomach pains afterwards but I find myself able to eat and continue my day with no issues. I've found that chewing gum helps keep the sickness at bay.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center