Skip to content
Sleep Paralysis Experience
Vesta1111 posted:
For years my boyfriend has suffered from sleep paralysis. The other night while he and I were lying in bed I heard what sounded like a clear, one second electronic beep come from either his head or just above his head. The sound was quite loud so I asked him what the sound was. He turned over and looked very surprised at me with wide eyes and said, "You heard that?!" And I said, "Of course I heard it, what was it?" My boyfriend then asked me to tell him exactly what I heard. I told him that I heard an electronic beep sound, a short one second beep/tone. My boyfriend could not believe it. He then proceeded to tell me that only on occasion (maybe 5 or 6 times in his entire life) he has heard an electronic beep when he either goes in or comes out of a sleep paralysis episode. He has always thought it was an auditory hallucination. He said that each time he has heard it, it sounded like the beep came from the inside of his head. He said that hearing the beep would be equivalent to when you hear ringing in your ears, because you know only you can hear it. He had no idea the beep was an external sound. My boyfriend has been most sincere and honest in relating to me his experiences with "the beep", so I very much believe him and what he says to be true.

The reason my boyfriend was so shocked about this incident, is not because he heard the sleep paralysis beep again, but because of the fact that I heard it too. This experience has completely perked our interest, so the past several days I?ve done some internet research here and there to try and find anything remotely related to sleep paralysis and hearing an audible beep. Through this I gathered information about auditory hallucinations, which was no big help because, A.) I clearly heard the beep and was not hallucinating and B.) It would have been my boyfriend?s hallucination, not mine. It truly was an actual audible tone. I was, however, able to find several sleep paralysis forums and such, with quite a few people claiming to have also heard/experienced a similar electronic beep sound with a sleep paralysis episode. Not all the time, but periodically it is said to happen. Most of what I have found during the short amount of time I?ve been able to research is regarding UFO abductions. Now, neither my boyfriend nor myself are willing to go that far as to say he was abducted by aliens. He has no recollection or experience of such things. I am more than curious as to what this beep sound was, though.

After the incident, we checked the room and all surrounding areas of the house. It?s an older house that doesn?t even have a smoke alarm, so it couldn?t have been what we heard. My boyfriend had no TV or any other electronic device in the room that would have created the sound we heard. I am still trying to wrap my brain around this because I know what I heard and I know it came from him, but I also know that it is physically impossible for the human body to emit such a sound as an electronic beep. My boyfriend and I have separately compared the sound we heard with an online frequency program and both of us came up with the sound being somewhere between the range of 680 and 700 HZ frequency. I don?t know whether that?s important or not, but it is the sound that I heard and the sound that my boyfriend has occasionally heard throughout his life. We would like to hear anyone?s opinion or thoughts. Does anyone have any information about this? Anyone experience something similar? What is this beep? And why was I able to hear it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a legitimate question and I would be grateful for a legitimate response, please. Thank you very much!

pamandbobby4ever responded:
Hello! I am a 35 yr old female w/ Narcolepsy (symtoms since childhood, diag. around 2 yrs ago). I am fascinated by what you are describing.

Now, let me tell you, I was raised by an extremely conservative mother and father. I was taught to be a very practical person, raised to always be a lady (grew up in the deep south), and in my house growing up anything that you could not physically see, touch, etc. was considered off-limits to talk about (and as far as my parents were concerned only "crazy" people ever experienced such things anyway). However, I have always believed that there are a lot of things out there that we do not understand yet. That doesn't mean that they are not real, only that we have not evolved enough yet to be able to understand them.

I absolutely believe that what you are saying did happen, especially as a person who has had different experiences myself. I applaud your willingness to seek answers and the fact that you are being so supportive of your boyfriend b/c most people would rather pretend that it never happened.

I would encourage your boyfriend to be as forthcoming as possible to you with anything that happens to him regarding sleep issues even if he doesn't think that anyone else can hear, see, etc. whatever it is. Make a list of his different symtoms/experiences and all of the times, dates, etc. Exactly what was going on when he/you heard the beep?? Write down as much info as possible -- (What was the temperature in the room? How long had he been asleep? Was he completely asleep or just sort of dozing? What was he wearing? What was he seeing or experiencing in his sleep?) - you get the idea.

Also, there is a national radio show that is called "Coast to Coast AM" that you might want to ck out -- they also have a website. My husband and I have been listening to it on and off for years. They have different topics every night and they talk about everything from current events to different health topics, aliens, other dimensions, spiritual issues, etc. They encourage people to call in esp. on Friday nights with whatever they want to talk about...maybe you could get some answers there.

Well, I hope I have helped at least a little bit...Hang in there!!! Please let us know what you find out!!

Pam

Vesta1111 responded:
Pam,

Thank you so much! You know, I have heard of Coast to Coast AM radio. My boyfriend and I have listened in a few times. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I will call in one Friday and I bet I'll get a few answers too. I'm still doing a bit of research. I'm curious as to whether someone else has experienced their partner's SP experience. The search continues...

Thanks again!

econdude responded:
I experienced that (again) this morning. It sounded like a watch beeping once. I had been awake for about half an hour or so and dozed back to sleep around 6am (guessing). I felt a wave washing over my body and I've trained myself to fight it off by moving my eyes and extremeties. It went away when I rolled onto my side (it happens when I sleep on my back).

I have heard the beep before. No one's body can create that noise. I would look at exhausting all scientific possibilites before explaining it via the occult. That said, I have no idea what the beep was. I would actually suggest, given the uniqueness of your case (and having me to independently back it up, via my own experience) that you contact a scientist named Rupert Sheldrake. He might be difficult to reach but the effort would be worth it. I will continue to try to "research" this and keep you posted. (I have untreated night terrors, insomnia, and lucid and disturbing dreams.)

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center