Skip to content
Balloon Sinuplasty Problems
emilywatts1025 posted:
Hello- I'm new to this so I hope I'm posting in the right spot. I just underwent balloon sinuplasty 7 days ago. I feel terrible. I'm dizzy, congested, and my ears feel full. I was told this was a "non event" by my doctor who performed it, but I can barely walk down the hall without feeling like I might fall down. I don't understand it. Is this normal? I'm supposed to run in a relay race that I have been training for all year in two weeks (18 miles) and I can barely walk a mile right now. Does it take this long to recover from sinuplasty surgery? I'm on prednisone (30mg) in the morning to help with swelling, but I just feel really off and weird right now. Just curious if all of this is normal and I just need more time to recover. Please advise. (I'm embarrassed to call my docs as I've been calling them every day and they just say you should be feeling better, but I'm not)!

Jordan_Josephson_MD responded:
Dear emilywatts1025:

Sorry it took so long. I thought I posted this answer already. I hope by now, you are better. If not your docs really need to find out why. Nevertheless, these symptoms after balloon sinuplasty are rare and in fact perplexing. There is something else going on. I don?t know enough about your symptoms, but dizziness after sinuplasty is very rare. I wouldn?t call it a non event either. Something is wrong. Either you have eustachian tube dysfunction, a viral labryrinthitis, or an intracranial problem that can either be a result of the surgery or coincidental to the surgery, or a cardiac or metabolic problem. Either way it needs to be addressed, diagnosesd and than your docs have to come up with an answer to resolve your problem.

You should never be embarrassed to call your surgeon as long as you are still having a problem. (S)he may have to do additional tests (ie. CT scan, hearing tests and blood tests etc.) but they should want to look into this as this is not a common post operative course after Balloon Sinuplasty. In fact, my patients after Balloon Sinuplasty are back to work the next working day although I tell them to refrain from excessive physical activity for a month after surgery and that would include running a race.

I hope that you get an answer to your problem and your symptoms improve. If not you should have your physician give you a thorough workup and give you cogent reasons for your symptoms with an action plan to their treatment. Or you should feel comfortable to go to another physician for a second opinion. For your sinus problems you might want to read my book Sinus Relief Now as it will explain why you needed the surgery that you had and what you can do to keep your sinuses healthy in the future.

Hope this late response finds you healthy already with a resolution to your problem. If not let us know.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

All the best

DrJ

kermalli responded:
I have had this same surgery and am also feeling dizzy. It's been a week today but the dizziness is getting better every day. I?m still feeling like throwing up and am assuming that is due to the antibiotics that i am taking. I also thought that I will start working right after a few days but was not able to because of the light headedness. I can not wait to fully recover.

Jordan_Josephson_MD responded:
Dear Emilywatts1025

Sorry to hear about what you are going through. I am not sure why you are having this problem. No matter what the cause, you will need to figure this out as soon as possible and get it corrected. Most people after balloon sinuplasty have a fairly benign and weasy recovery and my patients are usually back to work the next working day. Balloon sinuplasty is a relatively safe procedure in qualified hands and most patients are back to work feeling improvement soon after the surgery is completed.

So let?s just say your story is not usual. I think the dizziness may be due to an ear problem but you need to rule out a central problem and a low blood count problem as well as various less likely problems that can be causing these symptoms. Nevertheless, your complaints are rare after sinus surgery. But as you say, you can barely walk down the hall so I think that you immediately need to go back to your primary care physician and the ENT doc that did your surgery. You should never be embarrassed and if you can?t walk down the hallway that is not a non event. If you can?t get out of your house because you are so dizzy than maybe you need to go to your local emergency room.

Whoever you see they should immediately perform a thorough examination and they should perform a series of tests including blood work to see what your blood count is. They should perform a CT scan of your sinuses and middle ears. And maybe a scan of your brain. With your ears being clogged this can be a result of the infection that caused your sinus problems in the first place and this might need to be treated. The steroids should improve this but can also cause dizziness. You might need them to look at your various thyroid and other blood levels and they might want to wean you of the steroids because although I think that steroids are good most of the time they also have side affects. They might want to look at other meds to bring down the inflammation. If this doesn?t turn up anything, they must determine what is causing your problems so that you can back to a healthier life. Whatever the cause, it must be determined and then treat them appropriately.

Don?t be afraid to call your docs.

I hope this helps.

Keep us posted.

All the best.

DrJ

JustinBarraclough replied to Jordan_Josephson_MD's response:
I have had balloon sinuplasty just over a month ago and still get swelling and seem to need to use a spray. Does it take longer for the swelling to go completely down after this procedure or maybe this procedure did not help me?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to JustinBarraclough's response:
Hi Justin and welcome to WebMD,

I encourage you to repost your message to Dr. Moser as a new discussion on our Ear, Nose and Throat community .

To start a new discussion there, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.

rwatson responded:
Dont feel bad ur not alone!! I had facial swelling and pain for a month after my balloon sinuplasty!! This procedure is not for everyone, my sinuses were severly closed and I had had two sinus surgeries before this one. I had this done last november and I am sick right now with a sinus infection, antibiotics still arent getting rid of them and my sinuses are STILL CLOSED!! SO dont worry ur not just being a baby cause not everyone has the same sinuses and therefore arent going to recover the same and unfortunately you may not even get any benefits out of going through this either. My ent has basically told me he doesnt know what else to do!! Im waiting on receiving insurance them im getting a second opinion. ...good luck to u...hang in there

teejay407 replied to rwatson's response:
I was told I would feel fine in 24 hours with exception of some congestion. My procedure was done 2 days ago in the doctors office with local anesthesia (I recommend GENERAL!!!) I felt way too much pain being awake even though they took a long time to numb me. It felt like my eye sockets were going to break! I have only slept for about 4 hours total within the last few days. My stomach is upset but I am sure that's from the medicine. I don't see how people can go to work the next day. My nose constantly drains and I am beyond exhausted. Even propped up, sleeping is very difficult. I am only on day 3 and hope to feel better soon. My left nostril has lots of blood clots, the right nostril is fine. The nose rinses are gross when you have to spit clots out of your mouth but it provides temporary congestion relief after rinsing. I am hoping to see the benefits of this procedure soon. If I ever had to do this again years down the road, I would only do general anesthesia. No amount of numbing can erase the pressure. I even felt it in my teeth! That was an AWFUL experience.

iblovey replied to teejay407's response:
I had my surgery six days ago under general anesthesia. The procedure itself went well, actually felt ok that day and the day after. Didn't start to have problems until I tried to blow my nose on day four, that's when all the pressure, facial and tooth pain on my left side began. Not crazy about breathing through my mouth for six days either. I too cannot believe that people have this done in a doctors office and return to work in one day, NO WAY! I think I may have some blood blocking my nasal passage when in the back where I can't get to with the saline solution. See ENT tomorrow and hope she cleans me up a bit. Hope to feel better soon.

atti_editor replied to iblovey's response:
Hi iblovey,

How did your appointment with the ENT go? I hope that the pressure and pain your were experiencing has subsided! Please let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Atti

iblovey replied to atti_editor's response:
ENT f/u went well. She sprayed some numbing stuff up my nose then vacuumed it out (there was blood up there like I thought) and clipped a stitch from when she fixed my deviated septum. Pain and pressure on left side has subsided and I can breath through my nose again, but I have to be very cautious and not blow my nose too hard or the pain comes back. ENT said it usually takes about a month to get back to normal. Pollen isn't helping either. Making progress!
See ENT again in three weeks.

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center