Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Clear thick mucus
mystic0073 posted:
For a few months now I have been having ALOT of this clear,thick mucus in my sinuses.It is usually so thick that I cant even blow my nose to relieve it.I have tried nasal sprays to loosen it up,but it usually just causes discomfort in my tonsil area.I have seen doctors that have treated me for sinutitus and one even thought it might be allergy related.At times I feel so much pressure i get migranes from my left temple area and now I have been seeing black spots from my left eye.I am really starting to get frustrated.Please help!

Jordan_Josephson_MD responded:
Dear Mystic0073

Thick mucus can be very irritating. No doubt. It can be due to sinus infection, allergies, or environmental pollution. And sinus problems can cause headaches. And sinus headaches can cause migraine headaches. These are all possibilities with your description. Nevertheless, there is hope for improvement. So don?t despair.

The first thing you should do is to get a hold of my book Sinus Relief Now as it will give you various ideas that hopefully will help you to help your docs figure out what is wrong with you. After reading the book and understanding CAID you will need to get to a board certified Otolaryngologist that understands CAID. CAID stands for chronic airway-digestive inflammatory disease which connects sinus problems, allergies, asthma, snoring, sleep apnea, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). You should pick up a copy of my book Sinus Relief Now as it will help you to understand all of these problems and how they may be connected in your body which may be causing your symptoms. Furthermore, it will map out what therapies are available to you and help you to help your docs figure out how to make you feel better. Sinus problems are very common and over 40 million people in the United States suffer from chronic sinusitis. So you are not alone. Worse there are many people that are debilitated with sinus problems. Symptoms that people may suffer from include either nasal symptoms- nasal blockage, stuffy or runny nose, yellow, green or white discharge, nasal bleeding (epistaxis), post-nasal drip, sinus or facial pain, pressure or headaches, dental- gingivitis-gum disease, cavities, bad breath (halitosis), toothache, dental sensitivity, pain; ear problems- ear infections, hearing loss, ear pain, difficulty flying and diving and equalizing, tinnitus-ringing in the ears, dizziness; headaches- sinus and or migraines, eye problems like tearing- tear duct blockage (dacrocystitis), redness of the eye-conjunctivitis, swelling of the eye(s); chest problems-chronic cough, wheezing, asthma, bronchitis, shortness of breath; throat problems- throat clearing, hoarseness, laryngitis, sore throat, tonsillitis, difficulty swallowing-dysphagia; and/or nasal blockage leading to snoring, and/or sleep apnea. This can lead to poor memory, fatigue and irritability. And many of these people have decreased productivity at work and at home.

Just three simple suggestions to start with. While you are reading SInus Relief Now, you might want to start to use a netipot or a Grossan Hydropulse to irrigate your sinuses of this thick mucus. You also might want to try mucinex to brake up some of the think mucus. Lastly, you might want to look for things in your environment that might be causing them and eliminate them. If it is mold you will have to have it cleaned up and removed.

Here is to finding a solution for you so that you can feel better soon.

Keep us posted and good luck.

All the best

DrJ

plutonium239 responded:
I have had a condition like this for three years, and after seeing 12 doctors, countless alternative treatment attempts, various CTs, MRIs and even surgery I realized that I was simply not drinking enough! I now make sure I drink plenty water even when I am not thirsty, and the symptoms disappeared.

I was also having headaches and I realized that was subconsciously biting my jaws together when stressed, causing a tension headache. Now I consciously relax my facial muscles during the day and before falling asleep and headaches went away as well.

Often complex problems have simple solutions. Amazing.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center