Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I CAN'T WAKE UP :(
Tony5573 posted:
I need some advice... I am literally unable to wake myself up in the morning. My parents always had to FIGHT to wake me up and now my poor fiance' is the poor soul that has that unwanted task... Between not being able to wake up and ALWAYS ALWAYS being soooo tired, I'm just fed up... This is going to eventually result in losing my little lady and/or my job... I have tried megaphones, loud speakers, vibrating pillow alarms, people hitting me but NOTHING... I barely as much as flinch... This is getting sooooo sad... NOTHING wakes me up... I have been to a neurologist in the past with little help from him... I went to a sleep doctor for the first time when I was 17 and his diagnosis was that I was just overweight... (I was 5' 7" and 220lbs.) I went back some time later, now weighing 165lbs and he just couldn't figure out what my problem was... He called it Idiopathic Hypersomnia. I was given Provigil and that was just not the answer... It worked for about 2 days but after that I was losing my vision, not breathing well, hearing things and worst of all, NOT WAKING UP!! ANNOYING! I went to another sleep doctor and took another sleep study... I was "diagnosed" with Narcolepsy. I have been on everything now from Provigil, (again) Addoral and Dexedrine, (Including "quick release tablets.) They all have little effect on me... (unless you're talking side effects...) Now here I am, 4 years from my first sleep study and I havent found any relief... Does have any advice?? If not on the treatment of my problem, maybe advice on waking myself up??? I sincerely appreciate your time in reading this and hope there is someone out there with some good advice that will help! Thank you!

jamie7284 responded:
I have the exact same problem. I mean EXACT. I slept through a fire alarm in college, so I know how scary it can be to not be able to wake up to ANYTHING! I haven't been to a sleep clinic (although I probably should), but I've read that those dawn simulator alarm clocks can help reset your rhythm. I have no idea how well they work, but it might be worth a try. Its at least worth looking into.

I'll be checking back here to see what other people wrote because I would love to see if there is a good answer to this problem!

p.s. I've tried the alarms that make you have to get out of bed and complete some kind of task before it shuts off...after a couple days I learn to do it in my sleep and am back at square one. And those annoying things that you have to chase around the room don't even make me bat an eye. I shut it off in my sleep and the only person it annoys is whoever happens to be in the house. Funny how everyone else can hear my alarm and wake up from anywhere in the house (because its SO loud), but I can't even hear it from a foot away!

firechicken71 responded:
Looking for answers too. I am about to lose my job(again) over this. I have had this problem most of my life. The scariest one was when I heard someone in my house, looked up and saw a man at my bedroom door closing it, and then heard him going through my stuff. It had to have been a dream because the next morning everything was in place. I believed it was completely real at the time and could not get my body to move. But most of the time I just dont hear or see anything. I just cant wake up, it like drowning in a sea of sleep. I do suffer from chronic depression but it is under control I am on meds for it. My lifestyle is fairly reg. Bed at 10ish work at 7ish. Done all the alarm stuff possible. People tell me I sleep like the dead. help us.

jamie7284 responded:
Well there doesn't seem to be a lot of advice coming in, but its nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this!

sunyflwr responded:
I have the same problem...and provigil did not work for me either. What does work slightly is that I have an office with a window, and that seems to help on sunny days. I know that is not much for advice, but it has worked for me a bit. Better than nothing.

liz63664 responded:
We are the same my husband and I are both hard to wake up, we were both in the military when we met and we've been married for 20 years and we can sleep thru the alarm clocks people shaking us, even when the sun is shining in my eyes I can't wake up sometimes. And once awake I can lay down for a nap and sleep for 3 sometimes 5 hours more, I talked to my doctor and she said as long as I can sleep thru the night then I was ok . I am also glad to hear that others have the same problem but don't like that there is no help for us.

Buzyfrogg responded:
I have had the same problem all my life. I just cannot wake up. Everyone hates to have to get me up in the mornings because it takes a long time to finally get me going. Usually the only way to get me moving is to annoy me to the point that I wake up because I am angry or upset. I currently have an alarm clock for the deaf that has a bed shaker attached. I put the shaker in an old pot beside my bed so it is really loud which helps me get up but it can take sometimes an hour for it to finally wake me. My doctor too has diagnosed me with hypersomnia but I have not tried any medication. I normally have to go to bed around 8 to 8:30 pm. If I go to bed later than that, it just makes it that much harder to wake up. On the weekends, I sleep approximately 16 hours out of a 24 hour period but I need the extra rest to help me make it through the work week.

sierra2004z responded:
I feel for you! I really do, because I to have been diagnosed as having Narcolepsy, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and the latest is Fibromyaliga, because I also have wide spread chronic pain in my joints and muscles. No matter how much I sleep I never feel rested, NEVER!!! If my life style would permit, I would literally sleep my life away. But I don't have that option, I am a single mom trying to raise 2 kids, and to top it off I lost my job, because of the exhaustion. I am currently taking Provigil and pain medication, but am getting little if any relief! If there is anyone out there that has any advice, PLEASE, PLEASE help!!!! I don't know where else to go or what to do, so any advice at all will be extremely helpful!! Thank you for your time, and here's to finding some form of relief !!!

pibble01 responded:
Have any of you been tested for vitamin D and B deficiencies?

shutterblink responded:
My sleep dr. recommends a drug called xyrem. She said that it is to help you get better sleep at night and will reduce daytime sleepiness. Also, this summer she told me it's also going to be released to help w/ fibromyalgia. I see her on Monday so I haven't had the meds yet. They're very expensive - about $1500 a month, but the first month is free. I guess I'll try it and can let you know or google it and you can read up on it.

a_marieroc responded:
I also have the same problem. I can't wake up, but there's one difference....I am fully aware that I can't wake up. My brain is completely awake...but my body won't let me get up. It's like I'm trapped. Sometimes, after great effort I am able to get my mouth to work and manage a weak "HELP", in which my daughters (who I made aware of the problem) rush over and sit me up and jiggle me and yell till I can move on my own. Since I also suffer from sleep apnea, I am also aware of when I stop breathing, and how much time is passing between breaths. At times, I can feel myself as to what feels like I'm slipping away and dying--and I'm a helpless paralyzed lump just laying there and my brain is conscious of what's going on.

This is terribly frightening, and I have no clue as to what to do about it. I just figure one day, I will not wake up and die in my sleep...but the awareness of it is what really scares me. I wish I had the answer to this problem, and I'm sorry I don't--not only for myself, but for others. And, for those of you who are wondering, I do not have a CPAP machine...I can't afford it.

USMCsniper responded:
I am also one who has suffered a life long problem with EDS (Excessive Daytime Sleepiness). It has been a very difficult problem to deal with due to additional problems with Bipolar II, and Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. In reading over the various messages it would appear the standard treatments have been tried. If one suffers from Narcolepsy he/she is likely to find better results with Provigil or one of the amphetamines; for those with idiopathic hypersomnia one might find a better result with Concerta - Methlphenidate. Provigil is a selective reuptake blocker of the neurotransmitter Dopemine. The Amphetimines release dopemine in the brain and are somewhat more risky from the standpoint of abuse. Concerta releases norepenephrin in the brain, this also acts as a stimulant but works in a different way. As with all psyc. illnesses, it's a guessing game with unending trial and error. I have been at it since 1964 - survived two tours in Vietnam and lived with a good deal of pain and suffering since then. Don't give up stay current with the research.

USMCsniper

Pinky212 responded:
My situation is that I have insomnia, but once I'm asleep, not much wakes me up. However, my youngest son has this problem but not to the extent some of you have it. He uses two alarm clocks and sets his cell phone alarm right by his head. That does it for him. I'm a very sound sleeper, having slept through police sirens, doors slamming, and all the noise that goes with a neighbor's attempt at suicide. I also slept through an electrical transmission box exploding only 1/2 block from where I live during an electrical storm. But if I set an alarm clock, I'll hear it, and when my children were babies or when they were sick when they were older, I'd waken to every little sniffling sound.

What I've picked up from reading your posts is that even touching you doesn't wake you up. How would putting ice cubes on your face, chest, back or neck work?

The first thing I thought of, though, is wondering if you've been checked for depression. That illness can make a person sleep alot and not waken easily.

I hope you all find some relief and encourage all of you to be good advocates for yourselves. Ask why you're being put on a med, having a particular test (or not), and make it very clear to your doctor that you are not going to stop looking for an answer and want him to partner with you in finding one. If he doesn't respond favorably with some hope and enthusiasm for the future for you, find another doctor. Get involved in your treatment as much as possible. I know that can be difficult sometimes but if we don't "fight" for ourselves, who is going to??!!

Best wishes to all of you.

amyr890 responded:
This is Cataplexy. It is caused by Narcolepsy. You are awake but you cant move or talk etc.

Helpful Tips

take meds at the same time each day and don't eat after 7 pm
Hello. My prayers are with you. I have had RA for over 24 years, and dealing with pain and sleeplessness is sometimes a big challenge. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center