Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
twitching
nipples110 posted:
my partner has told me that I twitch when I sleep I only notice it when im first going to sleep and im jerked from my sleep. this has concerned her.

binobones responded:
I just now came across this message board room, like it.. but so far my twitching does not seem to be the same as what i have read. Its not consistent , and do not have leg twitches.. for me it feels like an electrical shock of some sort and strong enough it bolts me out of bed leaving behind muscle pain and a head ache, Does not happen every night but does leave me even more tired.. anyone else have info on this?

Bobbie2214 responded:
GrandmaRose05,

Talk to your hubby about the information I've given here. This information was provided by the The American Sleep Apnea Association: "The Greek word "apnea" literally means "without breath." There are three types of apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed; of the three, obstructive is the most common. Despite the difference in the root cause of each type, in all three, people with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times during the night and often for a minute or longer.

Sleep apnea is very common, as common as adult diabetes, and affects more than twelve million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health. Risk factors include being male, overweight, and over the age of forty, but sleep apnea can strike anyone at any age, even children. Yet still because of the lack of awareness by the public and healthcare professionals, the vast majority remain undiagnosed and therefore untreated, despite the fact that this serious disorder can have significant consequences.

Untreated, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease, memory problems, weight gain, impotency, and headaches. Moreover, untreated sleep apnea may be responsible for job impairment and motor vehicle crashes. Fortunately, sleep apnea can be diagnosed and treated. Several treatment options exist, and research into additional options continues.

Please visit: www.sleepapnea.org/info/index.html for more information.

halyss responded:
I have been suffering with rls for years. It started in my legs and as I got older it has spread into my arms. It's not every night but when I have it it is oh so severe. So bad I have to end up on my bedroom floor supine in a fetal position rocking my self to sleep only after I have taken clonazapam, soma, oxycodone and lunesta to try to sleep. I have been so tired of drugging my self to get rid of this pain. for me it's not just a twitch, it's pain and also electrical shocks that are uncontrollable. However, I do have some good news. Just recently I was put on a new medication "TOPAMAX' and it has decreased my episodes alot. So for anyone suffering as bad as I am give it a try. It is very expensive though, thats the down side. But it seems to work. Good luck! :

rogelia1957 responded:
I had always suspected that I had RLS but never brought it up to my doctor. It was discovered when I was sent to an overnight sleep facility to see why I woke up tired all the time. I was then told that I have sleep apnea and RLS. I now have to sleep with a mask and take Mirapex for the RLS. I never realized that I stopped breathing in my sleep but that now explains the strange nightmares that I would get where I would freeze up and would have a hard time breathing and also could not scream. I also can't sit for too long before the anxious feeling in my legs start and I feel like I have to stretch them. I didn't know that I was kicking in my sleep until the sleep study.

rfary responded:
Amen brother it was making me crazy! I would get out of bed so my wife could sleep. Sound like me. I became a "Night Walker". That sucked. I've been taking MIRAPEX and it stopped the first night! Small pill twice a day! Saved me. Good luck

jobobf

ammodog01 responded:
I have that problem to, It started in Iraq and I was not taking meds at that time, and now I am Taking Clozapam, cymbolta cr, hydroxopiate and I still twich and jump even wile I am watching TV. It like somebody shocking me.

tommysgirl_23 responded:
ive noticed lately that when i get startled awake my whole body twitches, not seizure like, not that extreme but small almost unnoticiable twitching. i noticed lately that my head is twitching as well, im not sure if thats a new symptom or if its done that all along. anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

19Mac52 responded:
I remember watching my father ?twitch? before he went to sleep. Now, I too am challenged by this. My twitches run the gauntlet from being rather mild to jerks so strong they make me sit up. I have attempted to sleep on my side or stomach to allay these but they still happen. The majority of my twitches occur in my Right arm but, the strong ones seem to be coming from the middle of my chest around the area of my heart. This bothers me. I have had a sleep study in which I had to wear one of those ?Cpacs?? masks over my face. The mask itself was an irritant. However, I was informed that I had experienced some episodes of apnea during the study. My neurologist put me on neurontin but, the twitching did not stop. I had an MRI performed and it revealed that I had some seizure activity in my hypothalamus. I?m beginning to wonder if what I eat or drink has something to do with the severity or lack thereof of the ?twitching.?

Mistelle responded:
My husband and I both have twitching. His is in his hands. It affects his handwriting so that I try to do most of the writing. He's had that problem since childhood. I have fidgeting. I can't seem to hold still. A part of me must always be moving. I also get hiccups a lot. They drive me nuts. Every now and then I get an all over jerk. It makes me draw in a breath real fast.

noteasilybroken responded:
my grandbaby is 3 yrs. old and she twitches in her sleep. Should I be concerned?

Leasha75 responded:
I haven't read all of the messages in reply to this, so sorry if someone has already mentioned this. I also experience these 'twitches' when I'm on the verge of falling asleep. I never thought much of them since they always seem to happen at that moment right before I fall asleep. One day I was watching House MD and this subject was broached, House explained that these twitches are called hypnic jerks, apparently it happens because of changes that take place in our muscles as we fall asleep. Of course I didn't just take the word of a television doctor on it, I did some research on the net and that seems to be what the twitches most of us experience are.

ruboobius responded:
Hi there,

I know you have a lot of responses, but I was always under the impression that this was a normal sleep anomaly. Everyone I know does it.

From what I know, it's a slight confusion of the brain. When your body starts to enter deep sleep, the brain sometimes thinks that this is the body actually shutting down, IE, dying. So it sends out signals to the body and limbs, sort of like a shock, to get you going again. It really sucks when you are just getting to get to sleep.. happens to me all the time.

Another thing I have noticed is that they are common in conjunction with dreams. If I have a dream where I trip over something or fall, I usually twitch awake because my body is responding to the apparently danger.

Of course, if it seems to happen more than what seems normal or almost constantly, I would get it checked out but I really always thought this was normal.

babysisbert responded:
I too was a twitcher and jerker. I had restless legs and woke gasping for air, often falling asleep sitting up on the side of the bed, on the toilet, and even while driving. I was diagnosed with pretty severe sleep apnea. My heart was stopping and starting and my oxygen rate fell to below 70 which 90 is normal, and therefore the blood flow to my legs dropped which caused me to want to move them to circulate the blood. I now use a bi pap machine with the nasal pillow system because I could not get used to the regular CPAP mask. I have anxiety and am bipolar. I also have fibromyalgia. While taking the drug Neurontin, the fibromyalgia pain was totaly gone ( I felt great) for the first time in 5 years I had no pain. It was like I was on a High of some kind but after about 2 months I began having these "twitches" small jerks, first in my legs, then my neck, shoulders, arms, and I looked up the med, discovered that could possibly be a side effect. I discussed it with my Dr. he didn't thik that was the problem but I decided to change it any way. The twitching left. The pain returned.

rmhill10 responded:
This is nothing to worry about. Sleep is basically just your brains way of getting some rest after a long day at work. While you drift off into dreamland, your brain sends jolts to your fingers, toes and limbs. These jolts will cause slight twitching and is completely normal. Everyone has them whether they notice them or not. There is no know explanation why the brain does that but some believe its just your brain getting comfy and trying to relax. Don't worry, everyone's brain gets restless! However, if its more than just small twitches, then you should talk to your doctor and see what he thinks. Glad I could help!

curiousincalif responded:
Dr. Mike - My boyfriend has a repetitive twitch when he is completely asleep. Lately, when it happens, it is just a jerking of his foot but enough to shake the bed a bit. I have counted to myself the time between each twitch - they seem to come about every 17 counts (approx. 17 seconds). This goes on for many minutes. His dad was known to be a sleep "thrasher" esp. in his later years, and dad ended up in a separate bed from mom so she wouldn't get hurt. My boyfriend's daughter, now 27, had one seizure as a child that was interpreted as epilepsy. One of my boyfriend's sisters has foot twitches in her sleep much as I described (though her husband has not "timed" them).

There was one night 2 years ago when my boyfriend's "twitch" was more of a whole-body spasm. I don't know how he slept through those extreme spasms - again timed about 14-19 "seconds" apart. It sent me to my computer to do some research because *I* couldn't sleep! (He has no memory of the spasms or twitching, ever.) But I haven't found anything describing these exact symptoms. His breathing seems pretty normal, very quiet in fact - I have seen sleep apnea and I don't think that's present here.

Is there any research going on on this kind of benign sleep twitching - and a possible genetic connection or a possible connection to epilepsy? '

Helpful Tips

take meds at the same time each day and don't eat after 7 pm
Hello. My prayers are with you. I have had RA for over 24 years, and dealing with pain and sleeplessness is sometimes a big challenge. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center