Skip to content
Fall Asleep While Sitting
tinyflamencodancer posted:
I fall asleep at the strangest times. While sitting in a class that I find interesting, if I'm not talking, I cannot stay awake. While driving, even when it's a beautifully sunny day and my favorite song is playing on the radio, I find it difficult to stay awake. In fact, any time of the day, if I'm not moving or talking, I am likely to fall asleep. I have no trouble falling asleep at night. i don't usually get the reccomended 8 hours per night, but I easily get up in the morning. My iron is slightly low and I take ferrous sulfate daily. I've exercised before class, attempting to stay awake from all of the endorphins and it never works. As soon as class is dismissed, I snap out it and get up as if I hadn't been dozing off for an hour. I don't understand. Is this a disorder? Could it be connected to ADD or ADHD? I haven't been diagnosed with anything but it's perplexing. As soon as a professor asks me a question, I am awake as I usually have the gist of what we are discussing. To add salt to the wound, I sit in the front row and fall asleep looking right at the instructor and usually awaken with he or she staring at me. And for the record, I occasionally "have a staring problem" which I worry could be linked to epilepsy, a condition that my paternal grandmother has. Please give me your opinions.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

T2girl2 responded:
Sounds like narcolepsy to me ADD is Attention Def. Disorder and ADHD is Attention Def Hyperactivity Disorder and from what I have seen those people NEVER sleep and their brains move so fast they can't keep up. If I had all that going on I would run not walk to the closest Neurologist and have an overnight sleep study done. Then some of your questions would be answered. I most definitely would not be self diagnosing. Good luck and be safe.

johnsonsmusic responded:
I have the same problems except for the low iron and 'staring problem'. I did an overnight sleep study at a hospital and they ruled out restless leg syndrom and any form of sleep apnea. You might have either of those? Then I went to see a neurologist and he basically told me he didn't have enough info to label me as a narc. He said I could do a day study where they observe me during napping sessions, or take a pill and see if it helps my sleepiness. He was really pushing for the pill.... Good luck!

callmered53 responded:
Wow, that sounds exactly like me. I can easily fall asleep anywhere. I had the overnight sleep study done. By the time I was notified about the study I did not have health insurance anymore and did not go back (In fact, I lost that job because of my dozed state sometimes. But they didn't go to the health issue so they fabricated a reason. It was devastating to me. That was about 5 years ago and at my job now, the deductible is SO high, I just can't go back. The sleep center wanted me to go back as they thought it may have something to do with my breathing; therefore not getting a quality nights sleep. I've been told I "work up to a snore" at night and for a second or two breathing stops before the big snore. I'm also told (this all by my spouse) sometimes I wake myself up, but I do not remember it. My doc said it could be mild narc and some sleep apnea. It stinks because I always have to sleep on my left side ! Any other way and I snore alot. Isn't that weird? I DO get tired (no pun intended) of sleeping on one side every single night. My doctor also feels I need to get to bed earlier at night. I have existed for a long time on 6.5 hrs a night. I do notice if I have 7.5-8 hrs I am more alert. It is so diffiult to get to bed by 9 ! I get up at 5 to be to work at 7 every day. It's always a one day at a time issue. Anyway, I'm rambling. I truly hope you find what you need to help! I can sympathize with you 100%.

JERSEYJOAN responded:
Advise: You should tell your doctor about this and have a sleep study done. it will tell you how many minutes you actually sleep of the total hours you think you are asleep, how often you wake up, how long you stop breathing, your sleep pattern and sleep stages, how much oxygen you are getting,if you have sleep apnea (stop breathing) or restless leg syndrome.

I had the sleep study done and was alarmingly amazed at my results. I stop breathing during the night so oxygen does not get to my vital organs & this puts me @ a 2-3 times higher risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Not good. Getting a C-PAP machine that will help me breathe continuously thus providing my organs with the oxygen they need to help me get a good night's sleep & wake refreshed with energy instead of always feeling tired and exhausted.

You probably are not getting a good night's sleep so you're falling asleep or dozing when sitting. if you have sleep apnea a special sleep doctor will advise you what to do. Good luck!

BarSinister responded:
sounds like Sleep Apnea. You should go back to the sleep study people. This can cause some REALLY bad problems. Falling asleep on the road or at stop signs is NOT a good thing. You may need a CPAP or a Bi-PAP machine

bettyboop3415 responded:
Fall Asleep While Sitting: I understand what you are going through totally!!!!!!!!!!!! I too can fall asleep sitting......usually on the toliet, and I awake only because my legs hurt from lack of blood flow. I can also fall asleep standing (ANYWHERE) I feel asleep staring into my closet looking for something to wear, washing dishes as late as this morning 12/11/09, also while I'm at the Computer desk typeing or reading an E-mail, and sometimes I can get very tired while driveing, so I pray alot (Lord please keep me awake so that I do not cause an accident and hurt someone or myself). I have been diagnosed twice with Sleep Apnea once in 2007 and again in 2009, in 2007 once I tried the CPAP I freaked out because I am clostrophobic, and I CAN NOT wear it, so the Tech sent me home........nothing ever became of it after that until 2009 when I could not get the medication I needed to try to stay awake during the day. So my doctor sent me for another Sleep test because I had lost 70 lbs and they thought that it could of changed, and it did for the WORSE!!!!!! My brain does not tell me while I sleep to breathe, therfore I am not getting enough oxegen to my brain, while I sleep, so therefore everytime you stop breathing you wake yourself up (you do not remember it) but you do. Which brings me to why I (you) fall asleep anywhere/anytime of the day because your body is exhausted. You need to get a CPAP that is the only way that I am aware of at this time that will help you. I have to go to UOC to try to get some kind of help because I can not ware the CPAP. Good Luck to you! Sleeping anywhere/anytime in Chicago. I forgot to add I also fell asleep in Church once. and I sit in the second row......yikes. how embarassing.

safeharbor responded:
I have the utmost sympathy and understanding of these problems !!!!! I have been known to doze off in the Dental Chair while I was supposed to be clamping down on a mold for a crown. I sometimes fall asleep while doing my bills, balancing the checkbook, writing letters, on the toilet----and--- have been known to fall off the toilet onto my knees & injure my knees &palms. I also have often fallen asleep while reading the news or magazines---and watching TV. I take medicine for this condit6ion which helps some---when I remember to take it. It is a real, problem for me----and humiliating!!!!!!!

choo_chu responded:
I dealt with the same thing as you for a number of years...it was really a drag. I know life is really hard when your sleeping is really bad, as it affects all aspects of your life and I feel for all of those people who are living with this.

Regardless of the underlying cause for your sleep problems, it needs to be diagnosed and treated. The first step is getting a sleep study done and you can go from there. If the cause isn't something like sleep apnea, you'll at least know and you can go to the appropriate type of doctor for treatment to remedy the problem and get your sleep back on track. In my case, I have asthma, which was causing me a lot of breathing difficulty at night. I wasn't waking up at night due to snoring and breathing pauses (though I was snoring due to airway resistance), but due to not being able to breathe right. I did wake up sometimes due to coughing. I now use medications to help me breathe better, which has significantly improved my sleep. If I don't use my medications as prescribed I start snoring and having breathing/coughing problems again and my sleep problems return. I also have to be careful to avoid things that make my asthma worse, as that can affect my sleep.

Good luck!

hampower responded:
Wow I am so glad I am not alone. I live a life of frustation because I can't seem to hardly get important things done because I ALWAYS FEEL SO TIRED. I have frequent daytime sleep attacks especially on my job and it only happens when my body is not in motion. I fall asleep at my desk while reading my tasks for the day, I fall asleep in front of any computer any where, I fall asleep while reading any book any where, watching a play or in class, at a ball game or a program at my kids school. The scariest place a fall asleep is while driving and this happens to me EVERYDAY non stop if I could draw a picture of this experience it would be a boxing match between me and the sleep monster I am utterly miserble because I can't seem to control the sleep attacks. I usually hallucinate during this time of the light being green and its not, of conversation episodes that have never been or some foggy picture of me interacting with someone or a group of people. I am not doing so well in college because I have the hardest time reading my material without going in the boxing ring with the sleep monster so it takes me a long time to read all of my text book assignments. I fall asleep while doing my math homework, science homework or any homework. I need some releif and I am most of the time very irritable and frustrated because I just simply don't have enough energy to support all the hats I where as a employee, mother, wife, student etc.

tinyflamencodancer responded:
Thanks everyone for your opinions and input. I really appreciate it. I made a revelation about a week ago; I found a way to stay awake. Doodling! I doodle borders on my notes, but it has to be an odd border with no actual pattern to keep my brain moving. I've tried generic borders and I still tend to dose off or at the very least, my mind wanders. I don't draw elaborate designs, just abstract ones. And I feel like I am paying attention to the lectures. I guess the midterms will reveal the truth.

All_is_One responded:
I usually can fall asleep easily just by sitting down and not talking or moving. When I meditate, I usually do this twitch thing which happens right before I fall asleep. I'm healthy but otherwise I just see it as part of my life experience. All things are perfect as they are!

spoonetms responded:
I think you might have Chronic fatigue syndrome here is some info on it Overview Chronic fatigue syndrome is a condition of prolonged and severe tiredness or weariness (fatigue) that is not relieved by rest and is not directly caused by other conditions. To be diagnosed with this condition, your tiredness must be severe enough to decrease your ability to participate in ordinary activities by 50%.

See also: Fatigue

Symptoms Symptoms of CFS are similar to those of most common viral infections (muscle aches, headache, and fatigue). They come on within a few hours or days and last for 6 months or more.

Main symptoms:

Fatigue or tiredness, never experienced to this extent before (new onset), lasting at least 6 months and not relieved by bed rest Fatigue that is severe enough to restrict activity (serious fatigue develops with less than one-half of the exertion compared with before the illness) Other symptoms:

Fatigue lasting more than 24 hours after an amount of exercise that would normally be easily tolerated Feeling unrefreshed after sleeping an adequate amount of time Forget fulness or other similar symptoms including difficulty concentrating, confusion, or irritability Headaches, different from previous headaches in quality, severity, or pattern Joint pain, often moving from joint to joint (migratory arthralgias), without joint swelling or redness Lymph node tenderness in the neck or armpit Mild fever (101 degrees F or less) Muscle aches (myalgias) Muscle weakness, all over or multiple locations, not explained by any known disorder Sore throat

Remember you don't have to have all the symptoms to have it I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Characteristic signs and symptoms of sympathetic nervous system involvement include the following:

Burning pain -I DON'T HAVE THIS I HAVE STABBING PAIN HALF OF RSD PEOPLE DO BUT THE STILL ONLY USUALLY LIST BURNING PAIN BUT MUST DOCTORS KNOW ITS STILL THE SAME Extreme sensitivity to touch Skin color changes (red or bluish) Skin temperature changes (hot or cold) DON'T WAIT FOR DOCTORS YOU NEED TO DO THE WORK YOUR SELF LIKE YOU ARE DOING NOW. BECAUSE ME AND MY MOTHER HAD TO DO THIS WHEN I WAS NINE. BECAUSE THE DOCTORS WERE NOT DOING THE WORK WHEN WE CAME UP WITH R.S.D THEY SAID OH YES YOUR RIGHT IT FIT PERFECT. SO STICK IN THERE AND I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT FALLING ASLEEP SITTING UP WITH R.S.D YOU ARE TIRED ALL THE TIME TOO. I JUST WOKE UP ON THE TOILET I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG I WAS THERE BUT MY LEGS HURT AND IT WASNT THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPEN TO ME LOL.

cajun_jane replied to T2girl2's response:
As you wrote, you do not have ADD or ADHD. I am an older woman with ADHD, take ritalin, and still fall asleep when I sit for a few minutes.

cajun_jane replied to callmered53's response:
I did the sleep study and found I have sleep apnea, got a machine and use it on a regular basis but I still fall asleep.

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center