Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
insomnia after concussion?
cagmit posted:
My 20 year old daughter has had severe chronic insomnia with neck pain after suffering head concussion (front/top of head) about 4 weeks ago. it takes her 3-4 hours to fall asleep, then intermitent waking and viivid/disturbing dreams. She feels vrey sleepy but cannot fall asleep, then is fatigued all the next day. She has tried all the alternative remedies including warm milk, chamomile tea , herbal valerian/hops/skullcap capsules, yoga breathing, relaxation and nothing helps. I cannot find information on correlation with head trauma and whether healing of brain will naturally allow sleep to return to normal. She had an explosive headache after one night taking 50 mg Trazadone and is afraid to take another sleep medication, although 5 mg Ambien has been prescribed next. Any information? Thanks

brown123 responded:
Hi, I realise it's a while since this was posted but wondered what the outcome was? How long did it take for your daughter to recover? Did she have a MRI scan after the injury?

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center