Skip to content
Very Deep Sleep
tominsd posted:
Each day I take a nap in the late afternoon. I take one after work five days a week and sleep about 15 - 20 minutes. On the weekends I take a nap in the late afternoon either after doing errands all day or a long bike ride. I've noticed that I fall into a very deep sleep when I do. There are times when I feel like I may die in my sleep and I get terrified.

At night I always sleep very well. The sleep is not as deep at night as it is with a nap. Lots of times I feel very tired when I get up in the morning, even after a great night's sleep. My energy can pick up as the day gets going.

I've told others that I've been feeling tired a lot. Some are very concerned about me. Do you think there could be anything wrong? Last year at time I felt the same way. I went to the doctor's repeatedly and was told everything's alright. I walk around a lot at my job and I also work out and do bike riding. I'm a male aged 53. Insights would be helpful. Thank you.

JustAskSue responded:
Why do you feel like you almost die in your sleep? Do you wake up trying to catch your breath or with your pulse racing? If so, this could be sleep apnea, where you stop breathing during your sleep long enough to wake you up. It would also explain your being tired all the time:

www.healthysleep.com/healthysleep/trouble-sleeping/what-is-sleep-apnea.html?s_kwcid=TC|17911|sleep%20apnea||S||5132756259

It could also be seasonal affective disorder, because you said it happened the same time last year. When we miss out on days full of sunshine for months, it makes us feel tired and depressed.

kerraboo2 responded:
Did you ever find out why this is? I have the same thing and was trying to look it up. I'm a light sleeper at night. I have some apnea, but I'm not on a machine anymore. Plus it's only in the day. I sleep lightly, but do dream at night. And if I wake around 7 or 8 I'm not that deep into sleep. But if I sleep in the day or if I sleep in.its really deep. It doesn't matter if I have slept 3 hours or 10 hours. It's more to do with the time of day. I dream very vivd realistic dreams and I don't move. I wake up feeling as though I have been breathing extremely shallow and cry slowly, if I remain breathing this way, I fall back asleep, however, I wake faster once I take a deep great and get oxygen. Upon waking, I feel as though my body weighs a ton and my limbs are extremely heavy and often numb, up to my torso. I feel as though I have been sleeping on thee fee of life and death. Its definitely not sleep paralysis. I have that sometimes and know what it feels like. I am on medications that make people sleepy, but I only sleep this way in the daytime. No matter what time I take my medication. I have had sleep study's done for apnea, but they only do them at night. This happens in the day and I'm not sure I would be able to go in in the daytime and get comfortable enough to sleep in the daytime.. Did you ever find out what yours was?

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center