Skip to content
Coffee Smoker! Any suggestions
CRoot530 posted:
Hello everyone, I am quitting smoking and not doing too bad but the hardest part is when I drink my coffee. I can not function in the morning without my coffee and I can't seem to drink my coffee without smoking. Has anyone else had to battle this type of morning? I am down to 3 cigs a day... during my morning coffee. I have a whole family to get moving in the morning and without my coffee I can't move.... so... any suggestions on how to fight the coffee cravings?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

superheroger responded:
Enjoy the coffee anyway without smoking. savour each drop and thank the skies above you that you dont have to smoke as well... i find that a cup of coffee can break a craving for me. best of luck.

unknown responded:
I'm not a smoker, but my advice goes for any situation. When you find yourself craving a cigarette, just stop right there and ask yourself three things you can appreciate in that moment about being smoke free: example for you being you are drinking your coffee.

1. Smoking cessation brings back the ability to taste food and drink better, so enjoy each little bit of that coffee!

2. You can actually breathe better than you have in years (I don't know how long you've smoked; I assume years).

3. Your person actually smells nice and people aren't repulsed by the smell of burnt cigarette.

Of course there are many other reasons. Be imaginative. Appreciate being clean and feeling the way you were created, namely being free from smoking tobacco.

I know I can't imagine the kind of addiction nicotine has, but I do know psychological addiction and thats pretty tough.

I leave you in the love and light of the One Infinite Creator!

J

reborn4ever responded:
I'm just starting on my umpteenth cessation so don't know if I'm much of an example but since it appears you only smoke with your morning coffee and have three during that time, next week have only two, then the week after only one. Then the fourth week, have just your coffee. Another suggestion is to switch to green tea or other herbal tea for a while. Maybe the difference in the taste of the tea will also remind you that you are changing into a smoke-free person. Don't know if it will work but I know after almost forty years of smoking, except for the few times I did stop for a few months, I'm going to try about anything to make it stick this time. PERSIST! PERSIST!...YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN WIN!!!

FrancieToo responded:
Hi,

All I can do is tell you what worked for me. When I quit a 3 pack/37 year habit, I too was worried that my need for coffee would sabotage my efforts in quitting smoking. The day I quit, I also stopped using half/half in my coffee. Then, a short time after that, I stopped using sugar, too. (After each cup of coffee, I brushed my teeth.) Although it was a few months until I enjoyed the taste of black coffee, now, I couldn't drink it any other way. In the end, not only did I quit, I lost weight, too.

Good luck, Fran

justcallmekim responded:
Yes!!!! I had the same problem. I used the pill Chantrix to stop smoking. And the wonderful (or horrible) thing that happened w/me... is that while it stopped my urge to smoke ~ it also stopped my urge to drink my morning coffee! I drank International Coffee (you know, the instant). So, instead of getting in my van w/my morning coffee and cig, I got in my van w/a cup of tea instead. Try to replace the thing that you associate your cigarette with (in this case coffee) with something else. WIth me, tea did the trick. I did not give up coffee altogether, however. I just wait until I get to work and I drink another kind of coffee. I hope this helps!

slowlearner responded:
You need to change something, break through the ritual of drinking coffee and smoking. I suggest that you drink your coffee from a glass instead of a cup. Change what you normally do while having your coffee/cig. Move if you normally sit, sit if you normally move, don't read the paper if that's what you usually do. Keep the coffee, but change everything else. Unless, of course, you can drink tea instead.

somethingisalwayswrong responded:
I am in the exact situation you are in! I love my coffee and nothing tastes better with your coffee than a cigarette. I am trying to quit as well.....I am now to the point where I have quit buying them, but now I am finding myself asking others for one.....ugh! It was so easy to quit when I got pregnant.....why not now? I am doing better than I was. I went from a pack a day down to 1 a day, but for some reason it is hard for me to get rid of that last one and I have no idea why!

Gabriel1234 responded:
This is a very hard habit to break. If you can quit smoking like that but only need to smoke when you drink your coffee then you have a pschological addiction. I suggest that you slowly reduce your cigs when drinking your coffee. For the next month, take 2 cigs while drinking coffee, then the month after that, take 1 cig until you break the habit.

Mabach responded:
I too had a very hard time giving up that last one. I was able to keep it at just one a day but found myself watching the clock sometimes for the end of my work day so I could "have my reward". REWARD?!?!? We all know it's not really but convince our self it is. I am now six months into my last quit. I say last because I have done it all, and failed it all. But I learned something from every quit. My greatest lesson was, "I will never be able to have just one." I am an addict. I am saying this is my last quit because I feel I have learned a lot and I will not smoke again, even though I live with a smoker, I am a NONSMOKER! When you are ready to quit forever, you'll be able to give up that one cigarette a day. Good luck and prayers to us all. Mabach

retired_but_still_caring responded:
This has been very helpful to me as I know my smoker friend sits down with a cup of coffee, hot or cold, when she "takes a break" to smoke. I am personally a coffee addict and have only once managed to get transitioned to decaf. I may be enabling my neighbor when I invite her over for coffee, and sit outside with her while we talk and she smokes. Suggestions?

An_206781 responded:
I quit for 7 weeks before giving in. At that time, I had no cravings for cigarettes. Now that I'm back smoking, I find I crave cigarettes more when I drink beverages containing sugar or alcohol. I smoke, on average 1 pack a day. I find that by surrounding myself with non smokers, I smoke less. I have a friend on dialysis. They cannot be around smoke. We do getaways every so often and I find that a pack of cigarettes last me 3 days. While traveling with my friend, I avoid sugary beverages and alcohol.

ronkenjo responded:
I sympathize SO much--I am battling the exact same thing. I found most of the responses on here to be pretty unhelpful. I suffer from chronic fatigue and sometimes literally cannot get moving without getting some caffeine in my bloodstream. But the two definitely feed off each other. Once I get some of that hyper coffee energy going, I have to have a cigarette. Its a cycle that I have been battling for years now, with no success. I wish I had something more helpful to post, but just had to let you know I relate, and really appreciate you posting.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.