Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
5th day should be happy but i'm not
Meehan38 posted:
I'm on my 5th day of not smoking but I feel numb and unable to kick start myself to do anything. I miss my cigarettes and I'm sitting at the kitchen table wanting one but they are not here. I have been doing everything to ignore the the negative thoughts and it has been working but feel numb and can not get motivated to do anything that needs to get done. I know this is sad but I can hardly drag myself to even get in the shower. My usual routine is to exercise I have not done that for 2 days. When will I feel better I don't want to get depressed like last time I quit.... which was for 6 mo.'s

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Get up from the kitchen table and perhaps go for a walk. This feeling will pass and you just have to ride it out. Are there small things you can do for yourself that often will life your spirits? A favorite video, fun music, calling a good friend, anything. (((hugs)))

I also know that I, at least, began smoking due to some big issues in my life at the time. So when I quit decades later, those issues came up for me again as they'd not been dealt with. Perhaps that's the case for you? If so, it may be worth talking with a therapist to help you sort all this out.

Meehan38 responded:
I think that my main issue is I was a heavy smoker and everything I did was with a cigarette . Now I have to learn to do everything without my cigarettes. I've done it before but it does not make it any easier with this quit. Thanks

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.