Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wheezing now that I've stopped smoking
kac7700 posted:
I stopped smoking 37 days ago, and while I do miss it at times, overall I'm very pleased with my choice. However, instead of all these wonderful "feel great" things that everyone says happens, not only have I not noticed that I feel any better, but I am actually doing worse. Went to the doctor and they heard a wheeze in my chest, which was never there before. I like to run, and this morning was the worst run I've had since I quit smoking, very hard time breathing, didn't make it more then a mile without having to stop, use the inhaler, and walk.

I don't notice food tasting better, my running is not improving, I don't have any more or less energy...the only thing that gets me through each day is when I want a cigarette, I tell myself "if I still want one tomorrow, I can have one tomorrow" and I do that every single day.

I sincerely hope the wheeze is temporary and I'll see a drastic improvement as my body adjusts and heals. Anyone else had these kind of issues?

All_is_One responded:
Something in the chemistry of what they put in cigarettes somehow keeps your body feeling good when really its killing you. When you stop smoking your body suddenly realizes how bad off it really was when you were smoking but it couldn't see that until you stopped. Cigarette smoking sucks the nutrients out of your body and when you stop your body finally senses this. This is why people feel so crappy. I recommend drinking healthy fluids, 100% juices and water, continue exercising but make sure you begin eating nutrient-rich foods and take multivitamins. Beyond that, continue what you are doing. It WILL get better.

I leave you in the Love and Light of the Infinite Creator!

bgsubie responded:
I quit smoking 20 days ago. this is something that I have struggled with for a long time. I am very happy with with my decision and my success up to this point but i feel horrible. I run a good bit, in fact i quit smoking a day and half before i ran my first 1/2 marathon. since i quit my body feels worse my running has be horrible and i am constantly congested and i dont sleep well. i can barely run 4 miles and i cant run close to my old pace, pre-quitting. i know that it will take time but this is bad. does anyone have any insight. is this normal?

Graywolf53663 responded:
As All_is_One replied, your body goes through a major upheaval when you quit smoking. Keep in mind, it is not just losing nicotine but up to 150 deadly chemicals that no sane person would ingest if it came in a bottle and said 'drink me'. (look at the why quit website and you will be horrified at what they put into cigarettes!!) Your body is purging itself of years worth of toxicity and it takes time for that all to evacuate. Eat a very healthy diet, tons of water to help eliminate all of that waste and you might want to hit your local health food/vitamin shop - you can get a 'lung detox' system to help clear out your lungs. Smoking stops the cilia in our lungs from working properly, and once you stop smoking, your cilia will begin to work again - moving all of that nasty congestion and phlegm out of the lungs. That's why most people have a much worse time breathing and get a nasty cough for the first few months they are smoke-free. Did you know that back in the 50's doctors recommended menthol cigarettes as a cure for the common cold? It would stop people from coughing so they thought it was a wonder drug!! Don't be fooled into thinking your body was healthier when you smoked, it was nearly DEAD and now that it is coming back to life, it is fighting to get all of that crap out!! Best of luck, stay strong!!

All_is_One replied to Graywolf53663's response:
agreed! I sometimes think cigarettes are purposely processed and packaged the way they are to keep people hooked and slowly kill them. I often wonder why cigarette companies absolutely have to add all these toxic chemicals and the nicotine. They could simply dry tobacco leaves and roll them as such. I read somewhere that cigarettes are the U.S. leaders' attempt at thinning out our population. That's a conspiracy theory however, but still, I wonder...

kac7700 replied to bgsubie's response:
Well, I'm on day 47 now, and things are starting to turn around. Still using the inhaler for my runs though, but pace and endurance are increasing. I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel!

As Graywolf53663 stated, our bodies are coming back to life and thankfully that happens a little faster then killing it with cigarettes. I'm such an "instant gratification" person, that slow healing and progress is very hard for me.

Hang in there!

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.