Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I am totally addicted to the taste of cigarettes.
goofyirene posted:
I am not addicted to the nicotein in cigarettes. None of the anti smoking items are of any help to me. I am however totally addicted to the taste. Is there anything I can do so that I too can quit smoking? Last time I quit cold turkey, lasted 3 1/2 months of sheer torture and gained 35 pounds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have even had two doctors try to hypnotize me. That didn't work either.

Thank you, Irene
FirstPrevious12NextLast

PinkRose7 responded:
I tried a Liberty Mist Electronic Cigarette and that helps if you enjoy the taste, for me it was seeing the smoke come out of my mouth. This gives both the taste and motions of smoking without actually smoking.

goofyirene replied to PinkRose7's response:
Rose, how do I find out about these electronic cigarettes?

srhaly replied to goofyirene's response:
Rose,
If you email me I can get you in touch with a distributor. The electronic cigarette comes also in a varitey of flavors, (pineapple, strawberry) also they can be used anywhere, resturants,planes. etc.
srhaly_2000@yahoo.com

goofyirene replied to srhaly's response:
Thank you very much Rose. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Irene

Firesider replied to goofyirene's response:
The taste of a cigarette can definitely be very habit forming. I think this will help you:

To those that have decided to end their addiction there is the "Become an Ex" program, which is being presented by the Ad Council and the American Legacy Foundation.

The marketing company I work for picked up this campaign recently. The "Become an EX" Plan is a program that will help you pick your smoking habit apart into little pieces you can tackle one by one. Once you begin, you'll start to look at learning how to quit smoking not as one huge war, but as a series of small battles you can actually see yourself winning.

EX focuses on how to handle your individual smoking triggers - like coffee, alcohol or stress -without smoking. You can find out more about The Ex Plan here: Become an EX

c_man2 responded:
Somebody needs a Zack Thwack. Anybody know who Zack is?

goofyirene replied to Firesider's response:
Firesider, I appreciate your effort, but from what I could tell about this site they also ultimately believe I am addicted to nicotein. My system has always been abnormal when it comes to almost any substances except food. Once I started smoking, the only time I didn't want to smoke was when I was pregnant or nursing. Very few medications of any kind work or work well in my system. That definately causes my doctors problems. I am just grateful I was able to control my type2 diabetes with my diet, because the meds didn't help much either. I have never found a pain med that works either, so I suffer 24/7 with back pain and a headache.

Rose, I am still waiting to hear back from you.

Thank you both, Irene :o)

goofyirene replied to c_man2's response:
Zack Thwack?

Firesider replied to goofyirene's response:
How have things been Goofyirene? It's been about a month since your last post and I wanted to know how the fight was going.

goofyirene replied to Firesider's response:
Thanks firesider,

Neither srhaly or PinkRose7 have responded to me.
I don't understand why someone would offer to help, then not bother to answer back.

The fight is going nowhere.

Anyone out there know about the smokeless cigarettes?

softhearted01 replied to goofyirene's response:
I too have the electronic cigarettes and love them. I got mine at www.greensmoke.com this has given me the hand to mouth motion and the taste that i struggle so much with. I hope this helps you and good luck with your battle. It has been 6 months for me and still going strong.

goofyirene replied to softhearted01's response:
softhearted01, thank you so much for the information. I saved their page to my favorites list and will br checking it out very soon. Again, many thanks, Irene :o)

Quit777 replied to softhearted01's response:
Amen

crawmama replied to Quit777's response:
To all of you on this conversation; I am going to explain a process that helped me from craving the taste or just to have the sensation of smoking that helped. It's a fifteen day program and really inexpensive. You need to buy either ruby red grapefruit or regula grapefruit juice, cinnamon gum, and cinnamon mouth wash.
After every meal drink a large glass of juice, chew the gum, and brush your teeth as often as possible after eating anything and rinse with the cinnamon mouth wash. If you don't have the juice ALWAYS have the gum on hand. Over time the cinnamon taste overwhelms the craving of wanting a smoke for the taste.
The juice is to shock your tastebuds and stop the craving for a smoke after eating anything. Over time it works really well. I won't lie; this method does work if you stick to it, but you will loose some sense of taste due to the amount of cinnamon and grapefruit juice you will be consuming. Also the vitamin C that you intake from the juice helps flush the nicotine out of your system.
I like this method because you don't gain weight, all of these aids are healthy, and it is convenient. I hope you all will think about trying this, it really does work if you have the discipline to stick to it for an entire 15 days. Good Luck :)

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.