Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mama & TLOS Buddies...
itsmeFCHS1957 posted:
Wow! This place has changed, for certain sure! Just stopped by to invite everybody to Nelson's (cyber) Barn & Waterplex tonight for a bash to celebrate my 9-Year Smokefree Anniversary TODAY!!! Wah-HOOOOOOOOOO! lol

By God's grace, my many friends on this board, and my supportive family I've not found it necessary to smoke since 12:00 noon, April 27th, 2001, and for that I am eternally grateful. I tried lots of ways to quit: inhaler, gum, patch, pill Welbutrin, Zyban), even an inpatient smoking cessation program, you name it...everything but hypnosis & acupuncture! What worked for me was cold turkey, deep breathing through the urges, and drinking mega-gallons of water.

That said, I believe no matter what method a person uses, you must be serious about quitting; be willing to do whatever it takes, whatever is necessary, to quit. To all my "The Land Of Smokeless" (TLOS, this place in the "old days") friends I say, "Keep up the good work!" To all new quitters I offer this for your consideration: I'd rather be a quitter with an occasional urge to smoke, than a smoker with the constant desire to quit...

Don't give up on quitting...hangeth therein (thank you, Arleen!). Do everything you can to set yourself up for success. Pamper yourself while you're quitting...who said we have to be martyrs?? Get rid of the 2x4 if you're beating yourself up for a slip or relapse...is a waste of your good energy...redirect that energy toward quitting again...much more productive, no?

If one method of quitting doesn't work try another, and another, and another until you find the one that does. Please be advised that just because a method doesn't work today doesn't mean it might not work down the road, so be willing to retry it if you need to.

Still a Grateful Quitter--Mary Ann

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 21 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.