Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Quitting Smoking
sugar1999 posted:
I am going to try to quit smoking this month on the 13th. I have a prescription for Chantix and also nicotine patches. Has anyone else used these, and what kind of success did you have? I need alot of encouragement.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Spesh1 responded:
How special! I am into my second month of Chantix, and today is my quit day. I followed the advice of a friend who said she would NEVER quit smoking, and didn't set a quit date when they tell you to. Last night I gave my husband my cigs and told him to hide them from me, that "I can't be on this drug forever". I can't describe it, but it works. I had NONE of the adverse side effects. My dreams actually improved and became lovely. You won't need the patches, Sugar. My only concern now, is weight gain, but I can deal with that. GOOD LUCK and keep me posted, as I will you.

Roadkill95 responded:
I have been quit for just over 3yrs. I used chantix, I took it the first time for a couple weeks and cut my smoking in half but didn't quit. A month later I went back on them and took them for about 2 weeks and one day ran out of cigs and I headed for the store to get more and on the way I said to myself I don't need them. I went into the store bought a soda and chips and no cigs and went for a drive, never smoked again. You do have to put a effort in it but its not that bad, I smoked 2 packs a day for 30yrs and I was hard core. even after 3 years I still have cravings but they come and they go and its over.
Good luck with your quit

Spesh1 replied to Roadkill95's response:
Well, I had some cigs over the weekend, but yesterday was my first day without ALL DAY. I'm now into my second day, and it's going pretty well. I hate being so hungry all the time, though. I also find it amazing that no one's noticing I'm not going outside at work anymore, and I was even with relatives over the weekend, who didn't notice. Where is all the adulation? That will come, I guess. I haven't told people just in case I fail, but at this rate it looks like success is at my door. Thank you for the good wishes.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to Spesh1's response:
How is today going? You know it's funny, my daughters boyfriend quit about a month or so ago, and he said to me just the other day a friend of his just noticed that he gave up cigarettes. It's like people always notice the bad not the good, it takes a little longer for folks to notice! I reminded him, he's not doing this for others to notice but for his own health.
I have to say I totally relate to not telling anyone, I didn't for the longest time. In fact I used to say, I didn't quit I'm just not smoking right now. That was 21 years ago this September 9.

Spesh1 replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
Half way through day three and things are great. Do you think we'll have to wait untl the 13th to hear from sugar 1999? I was hoping she'd respond.

Anyway, I LOVE your line about just not smoking right now. I intend to use it.

I'm also wondering how the weekend will go. I normally have some beers then, and am thinking perhaps I won't until I have more confidence. Or maybe just not as many.........

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to Spesh1's response:
I'm glad you'll use that line, I just couldn't handle the word quitting, but the truth is right now I can't think about lighting up again. The thought of it just turns me off now.

Yes the beers and coffee are different. But not bad different, your taste buds actually become more acute when you quit. Things will taste better! Enjoy. Smokeless.

goodsurf responded:
I used Chantix. I had bad nausea from it but it was worth it. I tool Chantix for about 3-4 weeks and by that time I didnt't want to even taste a cigarette anymore. I stopped and have never looked back. That was 17 months ago. I smoked a pack a day for 35 years (since I was a teenager). And I was the one who always said I didn't want to quit. So you can do this.

Spesh1 replied to goodsurf's response:
That I am. Day nine and I'm finally telling people about it, since no one's noticed. More support. I also upped my work outs to 6 times a week to try to prevent "the gain" because I am always hungry. 30 minutes a day with Gilad and "Bodies in Motion", plus some Pilates is doing it for me.

Spesh1 replied to goodsurf's response:
How long did you stay on the Chantix after your quit date? I've read the long term success is better is you stay on it, but no kind of schedule. It's two weeks clean for me today and I'm doing great.

quitting4ever responded:
I just started Chantix a week ago and my quit date was yesterday. So far, so good. I followed all the recommendations for building support and having a plan to curb cravings. I have tried to quit before but if I had an unfinished pack I would always tell myself, "When I finish this pack...I'll quit" But, then I would always buy another one. I always called the current pack my "last" pack. This time I drowned my pack in water and threw them in the trash. I didn't want any temptation. I decided to use Chantix after hearing family and friends tell me it worked so well for them. My son was one of them. He has been my inspiration in this.

Spesh1 replied to quitting4ever's response:
I'm back. One month anniversary last Monday and still hanging. Each day I think less about it. I also quit the Chantix this week, but have backup supply in case I slip up. I doubt that's going to happen. I have bouts where I'm constantly having to clear my throat, but don't expel any mucous, as I've read with others. My battle now is the weight gain, and July 4th sure didn't help. I consider that my prime battle now, not cigarettes. How are you doing??

quitting4ever replied to Spesh1's response:
It's going good. I'm on my fourth and last week of Chantix. I understand about the weight gain. I've been indulging a little more than usual too. But then, our taste buds are finally waking up to something other than the taste of tobacco and I think they like it!! I know my problem now. I need to develop the habit of exercise.

I feel much more confident as a non-smoker. No more dependence. It feels like freedom.

I'm happy for your success, hang in there!

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 21 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.