Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
nicotine and stomach problems
hobbes007 posted:
My roommate claims his doctor told him that his ongoing stomach ailments are due to his having quit smoking. He says that nicotine is naturally produced by your body, but when you smoke for a long time the body quits producing it and therefore when you quit if the body does not begin producing it again it causes digestion and stomach problems. Somehow, nicotine patches or gum don't work to supply the nicotine. I think it's all a story because he doesn't want to quit smoking, or failed at it and won't admit he just couldn't do it. Am I right? Oh, he also says there was an episode on House where the patient had the same problem.

gmc1990 responded:
No its true in some ways. I just tried to quit smoking but failed due to stomach pain, and it was pure hell. It's like a constant feeling of being sick. I'm going to the dr Tuesday to see if there is any way they can help.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.