Skip to content
New to Board - Considering Chantix what are you experiences?
lorik441 posted:
I've quit smoking three or four times and when I was pregnant of course. I've used Zyban with limited success and last year I tried Chantix with success for six months. I went on a vacation to Italy and for some reason it triggered me and I started again. I now am ready to give it another try and am considering using the Chantix again, but wanted to know your experiences with the medication. I had very vivid dreams, nausea, and mood swings I basically think it was the culprit as to why I quit my job at the time looking back now. It worked well for the smoking but I was wondering if strange things have happened to anyone else or if I'm imagining these mood swings. I would say I was in month two of the pills when I got really emotional and maybe reacted more intensely than I would have normally. I blame Chantix because at that point the nicotine was out of my system.

wv2win responded:
lorik, I had the same bad side effects using Chantix as you did. Actually I would call the dreams "nightmares" instead of vivid. In case you were not aware, there have been reported a significant number of suicides attributied to Chantix.
I quit over a year ago using the e-cigarette or personal vaporizer (PV). To me and millions of others, it has been a Godsend. I would suggest you check out the e-cig forum (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ ), do research and ask questions. There is also a good article in the Wall Street Journel on PV's that is one of the rare "balanced" ones I have read. Both of the suppliers interviewed in the article, I have used, and are reputible and reliable. Here is the article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704557704575437710870116450.html

Good Luck

lorik441 replied to wv2win's response:
Thanks for the info. I will check it out, I did fill my perscription today for chantix, but I'm alway open for a good idea! I mainly remember mood swings, nausea, insomnia and vivid dreams. I did however develop a rash of sorts that I blamed on something else. I can't remember if I was still taking it at that point or not, but who knows maybe a rash could have developed even after I stop using just because it was built up in my system. All in all I can't complain too much about my side effects, althought bothersome some of it could have been a side effect of withdrawal too. It was tolorable except the rash! It work very well and made it easy which in my opinion is a big plus because it's harder than heck! Thanks again, I'll check it out.

Spesh1 replied to lorik441's response:
Hi, I'm over three months smoke free because of Chantix and am telling everyone to use it. What an amazing drug. My dreams actually became sweeter on it, and any mood swings were minor, and actually just a part of my personality. I think the only negative side affect I experienced was gas, and hey, we can live with that to become smoke free, can't we? Good luck in your effort. I considered quitting to be easy on the drug and I smoked for 40 years.

Firesider replied to Spesh1's response:
How to quit smoking?
It's not an easy prospect! But it can be done.
On behalf of Legacy and the Ad Council I want to bring to your attention the "Become An EX" Free Quit plan and community.
Become An EX is a FREE online Quit Plan and social media-based smoking cessation program that provides powerful tools to assist smokers who want to stop. These evidence-based tools help smokers quit, they include information that can help you prepare and a community to connect with — the more support you have the better your chances are for success.

EX focuses on how to handle your individual smoking triggers - like coffee, alcohol or stress -without smoking.
And there are more than 200,000 people in the Become An EX community!
You can find out more about The EX Plan here:
Become an Ex

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.