Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ok I need the support!
SupportiveFather posted:
So, some of you may know me, but if not I'm SupportiveFather. I have 2 wonderful children, and as of yesterday my oldest just turned 2!! Man that went fast!

We had he birthday party yesterday, and I was getting stressed about my fiances family and other things. I found myself wanting a cigarette, and I ened buying a pack this morning. I have 2 before work, and 1 or 2 after work before I get home and sleep.

I am asking for your help because I realized something today. I was chasing my daughter around the house, and I got winded after about 5 minutes. I could barely keep up with her, and I got sp depressed about that. I have been wanting to quit for awhile now, and I have successfuly quit for around 2 months, but I fell back to it. This is the fourth time I've tryed to quit, and its gotten to the point where I am concerned that I wont be able to play with my children. I am setting the date for quitting in 10/13 and I really want this to happen this time.

What can I do to ensure that I can get it done this time around? What happens if I have a weak moment and I want one? What types of things can I do to quitfor good and not fall back on them again? Please help me, for my families sake!

SupportiveFather responded:
OOHHH and btw I smoke Menthols, and I have heard they are MUCH harder to quit! Any advice on this as well?

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to SupportiveFather's response:
Hiya and welcome!

Well I read your post and walked away from the computer a bit, I had to think what I did when I quit and had an urge! But then I realized I was raising 3 little children. 4 and 2yrs old and newborn. I was really busy, and decided I could never smoke around them. And that was it.

I smoked menthol too. Not sure how much harder it is, didn't matter, I had to quit. I wouldn't buy another pack. You need to start there. Don't buy another. I was also at home raising kids so I wasn't around smokers where I could bum a ciggy off someone. So for me, maybe it was just staying busy.

Be done with it. You can do this. Don't let smoking have a hold on you, be stronger than the habit.
Best thing I ever did for my health. It took a few months and I could breath again. Running up stairs was that much easier, as well as walking around, and anything else I had to do to keep up with the kids.
Please look to the right of this page and read The First 30 Days under resources. It will encourage you as I hope I have.
I'm smoke free 21 years.
Good luck and keep us posted! If you have to answer to us would that help?

SupportiveFather replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well, I had a lapse since my last post. I found out my car is a pile, and it was deemed undrivable due to saftey issues. I am taking the bus systems, but they dont run after 10:00 at night and I work at midnight. It has been one roller coaster of a week for me, so I went out after 3 days of not smoking and ended up having one.

I cant seem to stop!!! I hate myself for buying them, so I need the support from you guys! Thanks

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to SupportiveFather's response:
Ok you need a jar, put in the money you would use to buy the packs of cigarettes in the jar, you'll have a darn new BMW by the time you realize it! Cigarettes are expensive!
I support you in trying to quit, you need to keep trying. Heck I've raised 3 children, all teens at one point, if I can quit anyone can.
Hey check in when you can!

Chrissy

Spesh1 replied to SupportiveFather's response:
one word...........Chantix. And I don't work for the company, it just works!

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

ecigs
I've heard bad things about ecigs having metals etc in the vapor because it is cheaply made. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.