Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Quit smoking while I had the flu - Is this okay?
An_206819 posted:
On Friday I began feeling flu-like symptoms. My leg muscles were aching, I felt a bit tired. So I decided it was the opportune time to stop smoking.

Of course, by Friday night I had the full-blown symptoms of a flu. Headache, muscle aches, chills, fever, diarrhea. I stayed in bed for two days (without smoking), and went to the doctor on Sunday night. The doctor told me it was most likely a stomach flu or virus of some type, and gave me some basic meds to quell up the digestive system and revitalize my body.

Now, it's Monday night. The fever, muscle aches, and diarrhea seem to be gone, but I have a THROBBING headache that is unbearable.

Is this from the nicotine withdrawals? I have never had such a bad headache...I'm starting to think maybe it was a bad idea to quit while my immune system was already down.

Any advice would be appreciated, specifically regarding whether this throbbing headache sounds normal...thanks

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hiya,

Anytime to quit is a great time to quit. Often though you will feel worse for awhile when you quit, while your body gets rid of the nicotine in your system. Do you drink coffee or drink soda? A little caffeine might help you through the headaches.

All kinds of symptoms and coughing can occur, but if you are not feeling functional get back to the doc to be sure. You might even want to ask for some meds to assist you with quitting. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health!

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.