Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Would this make you quit?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:

It was recently announced that Federal Health officials have a plan in the works to require cigarette packaging to have bigger, more graphic health warning. These warnings could include images of cancer and cancer patients, actual diseased lungs, and even dead bodies.

Link is here:

FDA Proposes New Warning Labels for Cigarettes

But I'm warning you, it's graphic.

Would warnings like these, with graphic images, have made you more likely to quit smoking? What effect do you think these new warnings will have, if any?

What was the reason that you, personally, decided to stop smoking?

BYNOG10 responded:
PEOPLE HAVE SEEN ALL THE ADVERTISEMENTS ABOUT WHAT SMOKING DOES TO YOUR HEALTH AND MOST OF US WILL KEEP SMOKING ANYWAY.IF A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE LIKE ME IT MY SECURITY BLANKET.
WHEN EVER I GET NERVOUS OR UPSET I GRAB MY CIGARETTE.I KNOW I HAVE TO STOP BECAUSE OF MY HEALTH-ASTHMA AND COPD,AND MY BREATHING IS GETTING WORSE.BUT RIGHT NOW I FEEL AS IF I NEED THEM AND I ROLL MY OWN.
I HAVE TALKED TO A LOT OF KIDS THAT SMOKE AND THE PICTURES DON'T FAZE THEM.BECAUSE WHEN I SEE A KID SMOKING I DO TALK TO THEM ABOUT NOT SMOKING,I DON'T KNOW IF IT HELPS ANY BUT I DO TRY.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I stopped smoking for my health back in '93. That I, as an asthmatic, ever smoked at all is beyond dumb but I did for many years (began at 15, stopped at 32, with breaks in between when I was pregnant and nursing). Quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I don't think harsher/bolder warnings hurt but I think social stigma and high cost go further to help people get to a place of quitting.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 21 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.