Skip to content
Any Land of Smokeless oldtimers know?
Midlife87339 posted:
whether Nelson's (virtual) Barn is still in business for smoke-free milestone celebrations? Boy, I remember some milestone-marking doozies back in the day.

Well, if it's still up and running, I was hoping to rent the hall for the evening of Jan. 29 and to invite everyone here—and any hunky, eligible, 40-something firedude acquaintances you might like to introduce me to!—to Nelson's Sat. night around 9:00 for my (wait for it) fifth smoke-free anniversary.

One thing I always liked about Nelson's is that it always had 100% calorie-free snacks. I've ordered a shipment of calorie-free Fritos 'n' dips, Snickers, ice cream, a cascading fountain of sparkling white grape juice, as well as a dance band for my party. I've also picked out a little black dress with sparkles for the occasion.

I'd especially like to invite all those on this discussion board who helped me tremendously when I started my quit in 2006, including Mary Ann, Princess Sunflower, Debi, Mamaladybug, and many others. You're the best!

- Mary the Cat Lady

Four years, eleven months, four weeks, two days, 40 minutes and 32 seconds. 27375 cigarettes not smoked, saving $6,501.66. Life saved: 13 weeks, 4 days, 1 hour, 15 minutes.

c_man2 responded:
HI Mary,

I am an old timer <--never thought I'd say that. I see you still got your counter going, good. 5 years is really something. Congrats on your milestone dear. That is so cool. Sorry I wasn't here before to see your post. Gosh, it is so quiet here now huh?
Well, I hope you stop by to see my reply lol.

Sir Jim

Eight years, eight months, one week, one day, 20 hours, 57 minutes and 8 seconds. 158793 cigarettes not smoked, saving $41,683.88. Life saved: 1 year, 26 weeks, 5 days, 8 hours, 45 minutes.

Midlife87339 replied to c_man2's response:
c_man, that is, Sir Jim! It was so great to hear from you and see a familiar "handle" on the board. Of course you helped me tremendously by posting many supportive comments when I was beginning my quit. Sorry to omit you from my specific mentions. By the way, I still have plenty of calorie-free snacks left from my quit party, so please help yourself.

Wow, would you just look at your stats?! 8-8-8 as the amount of time quit and what a savings in dollars, but more importantly life!!!

I sometimes picture the number of sickarettes I haven't smoked in a huge pile around to awe me at what I might have done but have avoided doing to my poor, innocent lungs. Yours would be a small mountain! Also, you could have bought a nice cabin in the woods by now with your savings.

akwoman1959 responded:
Mary, I remember well when you quit, wow the time has flown by. I look forward to joining you in the land of the successful. I am more determined than ever and can no longer ignore the health risks I am facing.

Congrats on a great milestone, I am sorry I missed the party!!

Midlife87339 replied to akwoman1959's response:
akwoman1959,

Not to worry--the party is kind of an ongoing celebration! Here, help yourself to some calorie-free snackage.

I remember a "somebody"1959 from Alaska I communicated with very often when I was starting my quit, but did you perhaps change your handle? Your current one looks a bit different somehow.

At any rate, yes, of course, you can and you *should* join me here in the Land of Smokeless!!! What I mean by "should" is not the kind of shoulds I had to work so hard to get *rid* of with therapy--long story -- I mean you should because you would feel so *well*, so able to breathe freely, and you would have so much more physical stamina. You also should because you would feel pleased with the way your hair, skin, and clothes smell fresh. You should because you'd save a lot of money that goes to support a big corporation who believe me does not have your best interests at heart. You should because I'm guessing you have a lot of people who care about you (or even just one!) and want you to stick around to see the next...what? Next next graduation, next wedding, next baby picture, next promotion, next work of art, next sports win, next funny cat picture...from the big to the everyday "next"!

Think hard about the risks and list what you might gain by quitting.

MTCL

akwoman1959 replied to Midlife87339's response:
Mary,
Yes it is me, from back in the beginning of your quit. You were consequently more successful than I in that one:)).

I am doing well, day 3 using the gum. I have smoked one sickarette in the 3 days so I am doing well.

I need some encouragement and that you gave, thanks for being here. KC akwoman1959

c_man2 replied to akwoman1959's response:
Kc,
May you succeed in this quit. Life is so good when nic is not controlling half your thoughts. I promise you will like it as time goes by.

c_man2 replied to Midlife87339's response:
Hi Mary

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.