Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sleepy Nonsmoker
suzycreamcheese77 posted:
I quit smoking 2.5 weeks ago after being a smoker for 16 years. I feel great and it is going fairly well, but I've noticed sever changes in my sleep patterns. I was expecting to have trouble sleeping due to withdrawal, but instead I haven't been able to get enough sleep! Several days I have slept 10 to 12 hours at once. I don't necessary feel depressed, just sleepy! Is this normal?

UncleB42 responded:
Hi Suzy,
I attempted to reply prior to this but the website was not functioning properly.
Over sleeping can be a symptom of depression and depression is the number one withdrawal symptom of stopping smoking. I would suggest a visit with a doctor that is familiar with tobacco issues and I would also consider Buproprion to help you deal with your issue. Please remember I'm doing this with very little information about you, OK?
Regards,
Barry McMillen, MA, LADC, MAC, CTAS

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.