Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
just quit
An_206838 posted:
Today is the first day!!!! I'm using the patch and meditation. And, of course, praying for St Jude to intercede with God for my husband and I, because I know that this smoking is bigger than me. If anyone has any suggestions to stay strong, I'm open to suggestions. I've lost 12 pounds in anticipation of the extra eating I will probably do. I've never had a support group, so maybe that's the answer, if this is even supposed to be a support group.

Jonathan Foulds, PhD responded:
Congratulations on deciding to quit and getting started today. Take it a day at a time. Each day you get through without smoking is a big success, nomatter what else happens in your life. You are doing the single best thing you can do for your health. It isn't easy but hundreds of thousands of people have succeeded by doing just what you are doing....making the decision, getting some support, and making a start. Here are some tips on coping with withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Best of luck, and let us know how you are doing.

stephn123 responded:
Good for you, I am on day 10 and except for an extremely intense urge today during a stressful situation (I just kept on breathing in and out) and it passed within a few minutes. I know if I can make it for 10 days, so can you and you are doing something so good for yourself, just keep on reminding yourself that this is really good for you. Since this is day 1 for you I wont ask if it is really grinding on you to smoke. I think maybe it was/is easier for me is because I came down with bronchitis (amazingly the only illness I ever get) and just could not smoke, period. I still have it and thought it would be gone by now, but I am still coughing/wheezing. It will go away soon. But like I said, I think that made it easier for me. I will pray for you too, but I think you can do it. I just wanted to give you words of encouragement, I really dont have any suggestions, but stay strong and good luck!

p.s. I have not had any desire to eat more, if anything, I think I dont want to eat as much. So maybe it will be the same way for you.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.