Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thank you, WebMD...
itsmeFCHS1957 posted:
Noon today, CDT, I celebrated 10 years smokefree...all by God's grace, the support of my family, friends, and "finding" this site a couple of weeks into my quit. Back then (2001) WebMD had Message Boards & the ease of being in close touch with moderator and fellow quitters was all that kept many of us going in our early quits. The miracles happened, tho, and, one day/hr/min/sec at a time, sometimes with a slip, but most times not, we stuck together like glue, helping each other over rough patches, welcoming newcomers to quitting, offering what worked for us hoping it might work for them. This was a "community of quitters"! Ten years later seven of us are still in contact, still supporting one another & walking every inch of life's road together via email and facebook. I truly wish others could have the experience we had back then. Because WebMD played such a major role in my quit I came in here today to say "Thank You," because without you I would either be very, very sick, or dead. As a side note, WebMD, the Magazine, featured my quit story and picture in the November 2007 issue, a source of great pride for me and my family. Thank you again.

Still a Grateful Quitter--Mary Ann Andersen

"I'd rather be a quitter with an occasional urge to smoke, than a smoker with the constant desire to quit." --from Junkie Thinkin'

Smoked 44+yrs.; smokefree 10Y, 1h, 18min; saved $19,721+; cigs not smoked: 109,561; 1Y, 2W, 2+days added to the end of my life, god willing!

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Mary Ann, what a wonderful way to celebrate!! To come here and share your story, and keep supporting those trying to quit!

It's been a long road for me also, as I have been smoke free for 21 years now. Smoke free what a great feeling what a great accomplishment, I'm so proud of you!

Can't thank you enough for coming back here to say such things.
Congratulations on your anniversary!

Wonderful! :)

arkiegal1 responded:
You are an inspiration. I quit on my birthday a month ago, for about the tenth time. I tried chantix and got sick. I tried the gum and it really seemed to work for me until it worked, then I would forget to chew it. This time I have switched to using patches, and after a month, my cravings are getting to be fewer and further between, but NOW I am forgettting to put my patches on. I try to keep one in my purse, but don't always remember that I used it. I hope that in a few years I will be returning here to support others that are beginning their journey into the life of "formerly smoked X yrs" and quit. Thank you for being here for us

xstitch_751 responded:
So glad to see you still posting. It's been 8 years since I found you & this wonderful group. Take care Mary Ann Stitch

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What are the characteristics of effective smoking cessation treatment?Expert
Many smokers who have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking on their own start to consider seeking help to quit. Of course a quick internet ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.