Skip to content
Smoke free for almost a week... my lungs feel terrible.
JacS599 posted:
Hi,
I had my last cigarette at 11:00 p.m. last Thursday night, and went COLD TURKEY! I smoked for almost 11 years, and I'm happy I quit. The first day was MISERABLE. I literally cried for the whole day. But after that I started to fee better. My skin is looking better, I have less acne, my tongue is pinker, and I'm actually eating LESS than while I was smoking, which is good, cause I need to lose some weight. :)

My only issue now is that since I've quit my lungs have been feeling TERRIBLE. I'm congested, and I feel like there is junk I can't cough up. I've been taking chest congestion cough syrup, using a humidifier, and uing my inhaler to try to get the gunk out, which helps for a bit til it all wears off. I'm not coughing as much as I was on the first day, but my lungs feel really heavy and stuffy.

I know that it's part of the whole detox process, but how long will i last? I wanna start taking advantage of my new healthy life!

frankleggios responded:
If you went cold turkey last night at 11pm after smoking for 11 years, your chest is going to feel a lot more worse as the days go on. Try to take deeper and deeper breathes every now and then. Expand your lungs, let your belly come out. Smokers usually take shallow breaths, and you should try to expand your lung capacity while breaking up all that junk in there.

If you fail cold turkey, try quitting gradually. There are ways to give yourself "doses" and wean yourself off. Plenty of websites are available that will give you schedules of when to smoke...etc. If you have an android phone, try Smoker Reducer Quit Smoking System. It gives you a daily allowance of cigarettes and spreads them out over your day. Each day, it gives you less and less and modifies your schedule. It's how I quit, slowly. Think about it, your body/psyche is addicted to something.

JacS599 replied to frankleggios's response:
I'm committed to cold turkey (even though I'm a vegetarian, haha). Thanks for the advice though. I think I'm over the worst of it, at least as far as urges to smoke goes. I still have my moments where I feel compelled to smoke. Like there is an invisible force that draws me to my balcony as if I should go for a smoke. Fortunately, I have none around. I find I'll just walk to my balcony, put on my shoes, stand and look out, and then I feel better. Like I'm going through motions, but not smoking with it. It's funny. But it's all good, it's not a strong enough craving to derail me.

Health wise, I'm feeling better today, FINALLY. Not 100%, but getting there. I'm not coughing as much, and my lungs don't feel as heavy today. That cough syrup I've been taking seems to be a big help. I take some and about 30 mins later stuff starts coming out. Gross, I know, but AWESOME! It's weird, but I totally get what you mean about not breahing properly as a smoker, cause now I find I keep taking these big breaths where I have to like put my head back and kinda use all my chest and stomach muscles to get a gooder. It feels pretty good (almost like a mini yawn) but I hope I stop doing that eventually, cause I'm sure it looks funny.

It's now officially ONE WEEK since I quit! YAYS!

lavendar777 replied to frankleggios's response:
Your right frankleggios, I quit for over a week now, but started with cutting back, way back to where I was only having 3 cigarettes a day, and then one day I just stopped smoking, and I feel really good about my decision.

; replied to lavendar777's response:
Anyone try quitting using chantix?

robertwl replied to ;'s response:
Yeah I stopped taking it after week 3, that is some evil stuff even after not taking it I still have some of the side effects screwing with me but it gets better after a week or so, stay strong and above all remember what you put yourself thru taking this medication (should call it mental torture) and you won't ever put another cancer stick in your mouth.

Staggale replied to ;'s response:
I have been smoke free now for just about 2 months and I did use the Chantix. For me I didn't have many side affects at all while I used it. Some very vivid dreams which I kind of liked...(smile) but other than that I felt very zen about the whole thing..much calmer than I was used to...didn't get upset or excited and quitting was very smooth and gradual.

My problem was that I live on and island in the Bahamas and the pharmacy and the country it seems ran out of Chantix. One of the biggest warnings is to not stop taking suddenly and holy cow I see why. The side affects were terrible...shortness of breath, crying constantly, irritability, stomach hurt...you name it...I had it. This was about 5 1/2 weeks into the program.

The pharmacist did get the pills back about 6 days later but by then I chose not to go back on it. I just went on my own steam after that and although it was really hard for the first 4-5 days I've been fine since.

Although my experience with Chantix wasn't all great I recognize that did (although no fault of my own) exactly what they said NOT to do so I don't blame the Chantix. I would still recommend it.

Janice

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.