Skip to content
28 HOURS SMOKE FREE but the kids may do me in!! :)
mercysrogue posted:
I have smoked for 15 years. I mean I've SMOKED (like a train on fire)! But, here I am 28 hours without a cigarette! Is this really happening? I am so happy! I've been going through the motions and doing everything I can to not smoke and, until today, it has been manageable. I am a Mental Health Therapist and I just been 3 hours teaching a parent behavioral modification with his 3 kids who all have ADHD! If I'm not going to smoke after that, I'm just not going to smoke ever again!

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Never again I say! Resist and keep smoke free!
Good for you!
There will be testing your will power all along, it gets easier I promise!

mercysrogue replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
It makes me smile because it feels, now that I am trying so hard to be smoke free, that there are so many stressors, but, if I really think about it, there's nothing new under the sun! It just FEELS worse because of the circumstances related to quitting! I'm worried for the weekend. It will be my first weekend without cigarettes since I was 18 and my weekend allows me lots of free, downtime. It's not like my busy work week at all! I usually am glad that I have so much free time, but, right now, I really hope my weekend can keep me busy enough to not smoke!

Alapaki responded:
Relax! I smoked for 50 years sometimes as much as 2 packs a day. I had my last cigarette with my morning coffee on October 1, 2010.

Join a group like Quitnet to track your progress. If you're disciplined enough you can make it relatively painless. Don't be afraid to use a combination of cessation aids and don't be afraid to extend their usage until you reach a comfort plateau. BUT MAKE A PLAN AND STICK TO IT!

I used Wellbutrin, patches and an electronic cigarette. I used each level of patch 3 times longer than they recommend and when I needed a boost I took a couple of hits from the cigarette. During the last patch period at each level, I reduced the strength of the electronic cigarette. I did all 3 levels of patch this way and reduced the cigarette strength to zero as I went.

When I completed the lowest patch level I use Commit 2mg losenges for about three weeks after, but never permitted myself to use more than 6mg total per day. Over the three weeks I reduced them from 6 to 4 to 2 to none. Haven't used any since the end of January.

CAUTION: PAY STRICT ATTENTION TO YOUR USE OF THE CIGARETTE AND COMMIT AS THEY CAN BE AS ADDICTIVE AS THE REAL THING. DISCIPLINE!!!!! (but at much lower levels)

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

What might work for those who have tried everything?Expert
Many smokers feel they have already tried everything…..cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, acupuncture…..but still find they are smoking ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.