Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Smoking and Bone Fusing
nickblue31m posted:
Hello,
My name is Nick i'm 31. I smoke about a pack and half a day. I live a very stressful life style as most people do. I enjoy smoking and I don't (didn't) want to quit. Everyone in my social circle smokes as well as my girlfriend and family. I know it's extremely bad for my health and people around me so we can leave that out(said with a smile). I'll try to make this not drag on. I hurt my foot really bad during work (workmans comp injury). I will be having surgery in a couple of weeks. They will be fusing 5 joints. I have been told by the doctor as well as many other people that you CANNOT smoke during recovery or use chewing tabacco. It greatly reduces your chances of fusing. I understand this and want to take the steps needed to quit. I will be going to see my Family practice Doctor tomorrow to talk about Chantix. The questions I have for anyone who wants to help is: What exactly is it in Cigarettes that will cause the bones not to fuse? Is there any products out there that I can smoke when I just can't take the urge off, NON-Nicotine Ciggs? Water Vapor? I'm really curious about the Non-Nicotine cigarettes. Will those affect the fusion? I know myself and I know I wont be able to quit "cold turkey" I need help, and this is a very stressful time. I've never tried to quit before, But I don't have a choice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!
Nick

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Caffeine and smoking cessationExpert
Many visitors to this site have commented on the close association between smoking and caffeine consumption, most commonly involving ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.