Skip to content
craving again
safaa45 posted:
hi im 45 year woman. i used to smoke half of a pack a day for 25 years. i stop smoking for 40 days but i have craving for smoking again from last week. please help me. please

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Safaa45 and congrats on quitting!!

Unfortunately there will be cravings, but the good news is they will come less and less. It takes some time but they will come further apart and come less strong. Just get through them. Fight them off. I still get them every once in a while and it's been 21 years for me. But it's nothing I can't handle.

Also, be away of what's around you, sometimes a scent can trigger a craving.
An old perfume you used to wear while smoking, a hand cream deep in scent, or even a car going by with a smoker in it smoking, it's all triggered me at times.
Be aware but you can get through it! It helps to recognized what's triggering us so we can avoid it or at least know what's triggering the craving.
Best of luck and health to you and let us know how you are doing!! Keep up the good work please!

penelope88 responded:
I have not smoked for 9 months now and still have occassional cravings. I handle it by thinking it through...that when I'm angry and want to smoke, I just think that it won't help my mood. If I don't buy them I won't smoke them.....oh yeah, I smoked a pack a day for 46 years.

Featuring Experts

Jonathan Foulds, PhD. is a Professor of Public Health Sciences at Penn State University, College of Medicine. After obtaining a first class honors deg...More

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.